PDA

View Full Version : What's so great about LS/VTEC and CRVTEC??

S14_240sx
03-27-2002, 02:43 PM
I've heard so many things about an LS Vtec and a CRVtec, what is so great about them?? Some on please explain to me why is LS and CRV Vtec is so good.

JDM Civic
03-27-2002, 03:09 PM
search first

but okay...

you get the big CRV or LS bottom end that contains great torque. For a Honda at least. Now you mate this with the high end power of a well flowing Vtec head and you now have both low end and high end, not to mention mid range.

The downfall of these are the rod ratio. You are making your engine do something it "really" wasnt designed for. This is why they made real Vtec engines. Its a good setup and an LS Vtec setup will get you good gains similar to a type R. I Crvtec will be fast as hell to when properly built.

I know Hybrid is going to tweak abotu this but these are designed to be lower revving engines (7500 - 8200). This is why most people fail. They try to rev the shit out of them.

They are good, fast, effective, engines. I plan to turb my B16A into one once i get my hands on a good B20 and i run out my B16A bottom end or sell it.

Hybrid Hatch
03-27-2002, 04:16 PM
On 2002-03-27 15:09, JDM Civic wrote:
search first

but okay...

you get the big CRV or LS bottom end that contains great torque. For a Honda at least. Now you mate this with the high end power of a well flowing Vtec head and you now have both low end and high end, not to mention mid range.

The downfall of these are the rod ratio. You are making your engine do something it "really" wasnt designed for. This is why they made real Vtec engines. Its a good setup and an LS Vtec setup will get you good gains similar to a type R. I Crvtec will be fast as hell to when properly built.

I know Hybrid is going to tweak abotu this but these are designed to be lower revving engines (7500 - 8200). This is why most people fail. They try to rev the shit out of them.

They are good, fast, effective, engines. I plan to turb my B16A into one once i get my hands on a good B20 and i run out my B16A bottom end or sell it.

im not gunna "tweak", your right about what you said, they arnt really built for it.... my car is built for high reving..... the reason the ls-vtec isnt really built for it, is because there is no girdle around the crank and at higher rpms it can get off balance and you can throw pistons and shit..

JDM Civic
03-27-2002, 04:18 PM
i know youve done mad work. Balancing polishing the crank and so forth. I give you props for all your work. Thinking of joining you in the frankinstine quadrent in the near future.

96integsr
03-27-2002, 04:19 PM
LS/VTEC also tends to be non-reliable.

JDM Civic
03-27-2002, 04:28 PM
my friend built his and he spent an additional grand. He pulled off all his parts from his brothers blown B16A and then put it in conjunction with his already 90 teg.

He got a bunch of extras most people dont need though. This $1000 included all the work, ITR intake mani, ITR valve cover, adjustable cam gears, FPR, all gaskets, ECU programming etc.

Basically if you are doing it from scratch you need a hell of a lot.

For me to convert my B16A to one of these i would probably spend

$1000 for a great block
$1000 in extras and labour

and my time to put it all together.

$2000 i could put into my B16A or go Crvtec. This is my delemma.

His work isnt including pistons or any other bottom end shit which hes doing later. Will end up being anotehr $500 or more.

96integsr
03-27-2002, 04:33 PM

Hybrid Hatch
03-27-2002, 06:12 PM
On 2002-03-27 16:19, 96integsr wrote:

non reliable if not built right... just like any other engine... if you dont do it right its gunna fuck up....

stuff you need:

ls bottom
vtec head
vtec oil pump
vtec timing belt
oil squirters for piston chambers
tapped oil line for head
crank girdle from a gsr or a type R

the b16 head is the most commonly used head because of its flow pattern..shorter intake runners mean more top end..and its single stage manifold is better than the gsr's dual stage manifold...

a common belief that a simple ls/vtec is the cheap way of goin fast...specially for those who own ls motors..this isnt true....a correct ls/vtec build up can cost u in the 4 grand range..with all machine shop and parts and labor costs...

no..u cannot change the crank in a ls block for the r/s ratio...only a ls crank fits in a ls block..all you can change is the piston compression ratios with aftermarket pistons..

you need the crank girdle to rev safely over 7200 rpms...this is where the girdle and balancing the crank come in...

theres more to it..but i hate posting on this subject...

InfamousDX
03-27-2002, 06:19 PM
the only thing with LS/VTEC or CRVTEC is they're great for power. but unless you build them up with titanium valve springs, retainers, and all that good all motor stuff, those ls and crv blocks can't rev anywhere past 6500. pretty pathetic for a Honda, huh?

JDM Civic
03-27-2002, 06:23 PM
their stoke is just shit thats all. Similar to the H23. It requires mad work but when finished properly it will spank all the people that buy the expensive C5's, and think they set landspeed records.

Hybrid Hatch
03-27-2002, 09:00 PM
On 2002-03-27 18:19, InfamousDX wrote:
the only thing with LS/VTEC or CRVTEC is they're great for power. but unless you build them up with titanium valve springs, retainers, and all that good all motor stuff, those ls and crv blocks can't rev anywhere past 6500. pretty pathetic for a Honda, huh?

couldnt agree more... and someone thought i would have a fit..

S14_240sx
03-30-2002, 10:01 AM
okay, my friend has a 93 civic, and he wants one of those set-ups, which one will work better?? for his ride?? and can it be turbocharged...

and theres nothin wrong with a expensive C5 engine... I have one in my CRX, i'm dead broke but I still got one in there.

crxgator
03-30-2002, 10:46 AM
On 2002-03-27 18:19, InfamousDX wrote:

i can disagree, the b16a can savely rev up to 8k without the aftermarket valvetrain, so when you put that on a ls/vtec you can safly rev up to that if you put a girdle on, i didnt go past 7500 rpms on my ls/vtec which didnt have a built upper half...

kotakis
05-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Hi guys! I just want to share my crvtec impressions. I own a Civic 1.8Vti 5d. Not very Usual here in Greece.It's UK manufactured and has the same engine as Integra GSR has(B18C4).It was ok until I blow the engine... I tried to find a Type-R engine but the easiest way to have a better engine was to do the CRVTEC swap. The results? Great!!! It has much more torque and when the VTEC runs it goes CRAZY.And the thing that the b20 block isn't good to hi revs i think its wrong. it runs with much power until rev limiter. I dont know it might be that I have GSR head and gear box and it works better.Maybe. But its worth. I have only intergrated the exhaust system and a normal CIVIC TYPE-R cant stand near for long.
Now I am looking for an ECU if it's better.

95civicex
05-15-2006, 12:32 PM
You realize this thread is over years old?

slammedEM1Si
05-15-2006, 05:20 PM
damn, this thread is super duper old

kotakis
05-19-2006, 11:13 AM
so...its new again..i think its good to leave here what you know...even if its mf old.it will be here when someone has to read it

Batman™
05-19-2006, 11:40 AM
???

smiledontfret
08-06-2013, 03:12 AM
Damn very interesting. I have DA thinking bout FRANKENSTEIN setup...Ima buy all new parts build it up meself!!