PDA

View Full Version : LS/Vtec Swap VS. Turbo VS. Supercharger?

FENNELLI
03-26-2002, 08:41 PM
Since I'm new to the scene I was hoping someone like yourself who knows, would help me in deciding the best bang for the buck-I have a 94' Integra LS. I have a cat back exhaust, an air intake, with some other small stuff. I.E. Probly not like your car, but like I said I'm just learning and trying to figure this out. Would anyone please tell me what you would suggest as far as- LS/Vtec or Turbo or Supercharger? :???:

SilverAc
03-26-2002, 10:41 PM
What's your budget?? Personally i would get atleast a b18c GSR engine and turbo, but that's my personal pref.

SilverAc
03-26-2002, 10:50 PM
also, with turbo's u'll usually need piston work and the like and maybe a new cat back(don't know what u'r using) Along with the turbo i'd get a type-R throttle body. And some other stuff like oil pump and fuel injectors, and so on, basic things that should accompany a well tuned engine with a turbo. From what i know about Superchargers their really a lot simpler that turbo's but don't know if u'r get as much hp on the top end. Again it comes down to u'r budget and how well u want u'r enigine working. I suggest u look through this forum and check out what guys that know their shit real well like toda party or jdm rice police say to other's about similar questions.

96integsr
03-27-2002, 03:44 PM
Rice police knows nothing but flaming.

B20GSR
03-27-2002, 03:56 PM
On 2002-03-26 19:41, FENNELLI wrote:
Since I'm new to the scene I was hoping someone like yourself who knows, would help me in deciding the best bang for the buck-I have a 94' Integra LS. I have a cat back exhaust, an air intake, with some other small stuff. I.E. Probly not like your car, but like I said I'm just learning and trying to figure this out. Would anyone please tell me what you would suggest as far as- LS/Vtec or Turbo or Supercharger? :???:

I would recommend doing the LS/Vtec swap first.You can add a turbo or supercharger latter. Start on a good foundation. :wink:

GEN2LSINTEGRA
03-27-2002, 04:58 PM
I have an ls teggy and i'm going with th ls/vtec add on and then getting a supercharger later on. The guys that are doing my vtec add on sugested this. cause adding the vtec to your ls block will atomatically give you 25+140(stock)=165hp+(as long as it is done right) and there you will already have your GSR engine instead of doing the swap. plus your block will be stronger then then gsr block :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GEN2LSINTEGRA on 2002-03-27 16:02 ]</font>

Hybrid Hatch
03-27-2002, 10:19 PM
On 2002-03-27 14:56, B20GSR wrote:

I would recommend doing the LS/Vtec swap first.You can add a turbo or supercharger latter. Start on a good foundation. :wink:

i agree... if you already have the LS block why waste time and money getting a diff engine... just either turbo that shit or get the vtec head

Jamison
03-27-2002, 11:00 PM
Rebuild the LS with a 10:1 cr. Then boost the hell out of it. Thats what I am doing. :grin:

-Jamison

jspec-integ ls
03-28-2002, 12:27 AM
I say u keep your Ls the way it is and rebuild the block and port and polish the head,and change the valvetrain. Then slap on a turbocharger by then you'll be faster than a gsr, don't go ls/vtec there a waste of time in the long run, they'll break down within 6 months, from wut i hear. Hope this helped u out

epy
03-28-2002, 02:21 AM
JDMricepolice or turbogsr.com will answer this question w/ nice detail once they see it.

PROFILES2000
03-28-2002, 04:52 AM
yah heres my detail GET THIS
http://members.aol.com/y2kb18c1/images/mvc-034s.jpg

On 2002-03-28 01:21, ^epy wrote:
JDMricepolice or turbogsr.com will answer this question w/ nice detail once they see it.
:grin:

Anonymous
03-28-2002, 07:06 PM

you're gonna run into a lot of problems there... if you're gonna do a frankenstein swap, keep it all motor, there's already enough stress on the engine that way.... i recommend boost...possibilities and endless..

Jisecup
03-31-2002, 12:47 PM
How much would the conversion be to put a new head on and all that?

GSturbo
04-03-2002, 07:45 PM
On 2002-03-27 23:27, jspec-integ ls wrote:
I say u keep your Ls the way it is and rebuild the block and port and polish the head,and change the valvetrain. Then slap on a turbocharger by then you'll be faster than a gsr, don't go ls/vtec there a waste of time in the long run, they'll break down within 6 months, from wut i hear. Hope this helped u out

That is so hear say its not even funny, I have had no problems with my set-up, as long as its done right

calvinspark
04-05-2002, 08:36 PM
i just bought a 88integra LS ,stick can i drop a GSR into it...

civic98-4me
04-10-2002, 09:41 AM
Yes you can drop a gsr in it, you can pretty much put any engine into any car. This is a much wiser choice than going ls/vtec because the ls/vtec are very high maintance.

RicePot
04-10-2002, 10:47 AM
I personally think going N/A is way better and you'll definitely get more respect running down the track wid a 11s N/A car than a 10s turbo car since N/A require alot of technical skills.
:smile: :smile:

madteg
04-10-2002, 11:03 AM
If you didn't want to turbo, you could port and polish the head, 10.5:1 compression, JR supercharger, a good intake, Hytech/Kamikaze header (I hear that they work great with superchargers), and a good exhaust, that you may already have. I forgot also that JR doesn't have a boost upgrade for the supercharger on the LS yet, but they told me that you can use the crank pulley from a crv and it will up the boos about 3psi. Shit, you could get one cheap from the junk yard. that is just the alternative, not necessarily what I would do, but you would be different... :cool: But, it does kind of depend on your budget... :roll:

TegLS
04-11-2002, 01:19 AM
From what I understand, the LS starts with a compression of 9:1 or 9.5:1, something like that. Jamison was talking about raising the compression to 10:1 but don't you need a lower compression for turbo applications? Sounds like you just need to redo the motor (stronger pistons, new gaskets, etc.) to put a turbo on. Not as easy as it sounds but from what I understand it is the most effective thing for an LS in terms of HP increase. VTEC conversion effectively raises the compression and makes the turbo less effective and a supercharger is more or less a leech on the engine (I will give a super props though... got smoked by a lightning *bad*). That's what I've been told by people who say: You should do this and you should do that to your car. To which I say: Sure. That would be nice.

TegBoarder
04-20-2002, 02:26 PM

very true. besides, while you have the head off, you can reinforce the block so you can run more than 7psi when you do go turbo.

g2teg
04-20-2002, 05:05 PM
On 2002-03-26 21:41, SilverAc wrote:
What's your budget?? Personally i would get atleast a b18c GSR engine and turbo, but that's my personal pref.

ugh, no....the b18b is MUCH more boost friendly. lower compression, no vtec = better motor to turbocharge.

Hybrid Hatch
04-22-2002, 04:19 AM
On 2002-03-28 03:52, Turbogsr.com wrote:
yah heres my detail GET THIS
http://members.aol.com/y2kb18c1/images/mvc-034s.jpg

is that one of those wistling snails?

90lsteg
05-09-2002, 02:00 PM
On 2002-04-20 16:05, g2teg wrote:
[quote]
On 2002-03-26 21:41, SilverAc wrote:

ugh, no....the b18b is MUCH more boost friendly. lower compression, no vtec = better motor to turbocharge.

well im confused now. some people tell me that a higher cr is best for a turbo, but others say its lower cr. im settin my engine for turbo, it has a 9.5:1 cr. should i raise, lower it, or is it just fine the way it is?

BlitzTurbo
05-10-2002, 11:05 PM
dunno wut's ur budget but i'd reccomend a turbo(or twin) and an intake to start than I'd get new ignition and wires than new pulleys and headers and an intake manifold
with a B18c engine

92TypeR
05-11-2002, 07:05 AM
twin turbo on a four cylinder is absolutely pointless.

SilverAI7
05-11-2002, 05:07 PM
Isnt a supercharger basicly the same thing as a turbo only its attached to the drives shaft as opposed to the exhaust? I dont know, im kind of new to this and am still learning.