PDA

View Full Version : Valve Adjustment?

HybridB16
02-28-2003, 11:59 PM
Alright... Heres the deal, My b16 is making that annoying ticking sound. Does this mean I need a Valve Adjustment? And if so, what causes the ticking and what does adjusting the valves do? I hear its a good DIY, but im not all that comfortable doing the job myself. How much does it cost. Also, does having a bad dist. cause a ticking sound?

Sorry for the lack of vocabulary in the post, I just don't have any other way of explaining it...

fataLLightning
03-01-2003, 12:52 AM
before doing that try doign an oil change and dumping in a good amount of lucas oil treatment, if that doesnt help, then worry about the lifters.

Toda Party
03-01-2003, 02:17 AM
how many miles on the motor? its most likely ur valves

u will need a special valve adjustment tool from snap on, its 50 bucks, a valve adjustment at the dealer costs anywhere from 70-150 bux...so the tool makes up its money after 1 use

its not that hard...u need a set of sockets, a long extender, jack, feeler gauges, snap on valve adjustment tool and some time and patience

HybridB16
03-01-2003, 09:15 AM
Its a JDM Motor, so its milage is some where near 40,000 miles... I recently put it in, so I haven't added too many miles to it myself.
Is there a "how to" that is good in your oppinion?

sprayed
03-02-2003, 04:00 PM
www.c-speedracing.com

how to section. good stuff there

honda motors always tick, so dont be surprised when it still does it after the valve adjust.

the valve adjust tool you can make your self out of a 10mm wrench with the help of a vise grip and a torch. it makes it a little harder but saves you $50. you'll need a set of feeler gauges (be sure they have the the two diff. gauge sizes needed...I cant remember off the top of my head but i think its .008" and .007" if its standard and i cant remember for mm, it should be on a sticker under your the hood) a flat head screwdriver and 10mm socket to remove the valve cover

HondaHeat420
03-02-2003, 04:19 PM
you gotta change valve cover gasket right?