PDA

View Full Version : Timeing belt change?

Cayotic
03-26-2002, 12:13 PM
My brother has 93 LS and he likes to think he's an enthusisast. He just put coilovers and a a cold air intake on before spring break. Then his car breaks down. I suggest ignitor or coil if it would turn over but not start. He already told me he did his timing belt last year. So he replaced everything shy of the distributor, no spark. Then I decide to take off the oil cap and see if there is a cam spinning? No... Timeing belt! Just to make sure, I took off the valve cover and sure enough.

(oh yeah I asked how much it costed him to do his timing belt last year? He said $20. Sure!)

$500 at the dealer or $310 at some handy shop. So I end up doin' my first timing belt. I took awhile because I don't have airtools. The water pumps in and the new belt is on. The points are as close to perfect as the book shows.

Is there anything else I need to know? Like how can you tell if a valve is damaged? Wait until you start her up. He was traveling at 35mph when it broke. How can I check the valves without doing more damage.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cayotic on 2002-03-26 11:15 ]</font>

Toda Party
03-26-2002, 02:42 PM
compression test

Cayotic
03-26-2002, 02:46 PM
cool, my uncle has a compression test gauge he gave me. It screws into the spark plug hole an messures accordingly. Is that what shops use?

integr8
03-26-2002, 05:53 PM
Yup. Sounds like you did just fine with the timing belt.

You should be able to actually hear the valves knocking if thier shot. If he was driving around without a timing belt (lol) then Id imagine theres some damage there. If you have a compression gauge, youll know for sure easy enough. And yes, thats what most shops use.