PDA

View Full Version : doing a h22 swap ? read b4 u ask

lilhondacoupe
03-26-2002, 02:01 AM
I'm writing this cuz i know the thread is gonna come up.

WHERE TO GET AN ENGINE: The internet has search engines for a reason. use em. i will say http://www.hasport.com , then go to engine sources, thats a pretty good place. I personaly would'nt pay more than $2400 motor and tranny.

WHAT TRANNY TO USE: The prelude trany is the best way to go. the gearing on is alot better. from what i hear, the 90-93 accord tranny does not like high horsepower engines. if you plan using the prelude auto tranny, don't expect a long trany life. i've had sevral professional machaincs tell me they hate 97 and newer automatic prelude trannys cuz they keep breaking.

HOW MUCH WILL THIS COST ME: don't quote me on this... but i will guess that if someone does it for you. probely around 800 to 1200 if no auto/manual conversion is needed. if you do it your self, you may need to modify your tanny mount, depending on your year of accord. and since the engine is out anyway, go a head and replace the rear motor mount. it is i bitch to get to.

please.. someone keep this on top. i know and you know its going to come up.

and if i have gave any wrong info, feel free to correct me.

lilhondacoupe
03-26-2002, 02:04 AM
oh yeah, one more thing. h22 heads will not fix onto the accord motor. it will fix after a shit load of machine work and lots of modifacations. so its not worth it, and its not practical for daily driving.

HondaSport
03-26-2002, 11:54 AM
from what i hear, the 90-93 accord tranny does not like high horsepower engines.

Thats not really true. Prelude and Accord manual trannies are the same thing, but with different gear ratios. They use the same flywheel, clutch etc. You can interchange the final drive and individual gears of each tranny.

brabus151
03-26-2002, 04:24 PM
thank u!

deevergote
03-08-2003, 05:09 PM
800 - 1200, thanks! I was wondering about that!
I work with a guy that says he'll swap my engine for a couple cases of Harp, but I think I'm better off paying an insured shop to do the swap... At least I can sue them if something goes wrong!

lilhondacoupe
03-08-2003, 06:45 PM
damn !!this was an old post. before we had the stickeys we have now.

deevergote
03-09-2003, 12:11 AM
Yeah, I know... see, some people really do dig in the old posts for info before posting too many stupid things!

all420
03-09-2003, 02:17 PM
WHAT TRANNY TO USE: The prelude trany is the best way to go. the gearing on is alot better. from what i hear, the 90-93 accord tranny does not like high horsepower engines.

I would actually go with the F22 tranny because it has longer gears. With that you liable to pull quick rather than having to shit. You'll also have a chance to keep your boost up and not having your RPMS drop.

The 4 gen (90-93) accord trannys hold up just fine. I have done 4 projects using them and I have yet to see any trouble. But, when you do this swap, or any swap make sure that you use a tranny cooler just to prolong the life of it.