PDA

View Full Version : Cam tuning

draco067a
01-23-2003, 09:43 AM
Ok, I'm working on my first engine, a D16Y8, and had some basic questions. I'm thinking about putting in a Stage 1 SOHC VTEC cam this summer, probably JUN or Skunk2 (if they ever release prices), and don't really know what's involved. I've got a basic I/H/E setup, so I don't have a lot of modifications, and this will be the first big thing I've done. My question involves the degree of tuning necessary to maximize the power of a new cam. I don't know of any dynos in the area (but I could be wrong), so if I just slap a cam in there without changing timing or fuel mixtures, is it even going to make a difference? Basically, I'm looking for any advice on installing/tuning/maximizing a mild SOHC cam install. Thanks :)

rota92
01-23-2003, 10:31 AM
more duration, and lift the more fuel and air you gona want, youve got the air form the intake and the header and exaust will keep it moving out, now as far as tuning, you will need a cam gear, jun calls it a cam sprocket, so if you get skunk2, buy the skunk cam gear, and if you get the jun go with th jun cam sprocket. have you considered a zex cam? they are realy good, you can get them for a lot cheaper too.

rota92
01-23-2003, 10:33 AM
oh, and did you want the vtec cam in the d16y8?

draco067a
01-23-2003, 12:41 PM
Yeah, since I already have a VTEC head, might as well use the VTEC cam. I do understand using an adjustable cam gear in theory - however, I'm not sure how I would go about adjusting it without a dyno to test my results. I don't have any sort of fuel management system, is it even going to be worth it to put in a new cam if all I can do is adjust the timing?

When putting in a new cam, it is recommended to replace the springs and retainers as well, correct? Will I need to replace my valves also? I'm assuming that a mild cam won't require significant engine buildup or modification beyond the valvetrain.

rota92
01-23-2003, 01:12 PM
not particularly, but in your case the new valves may be a good idea, but it all depends on how far you wanna go with the motor