PDA

View Full Version : 5th gen exaust mod + a few other things

95GLi
03-25-2002, 08:18 PM
Hey yall - thansk 4 reading my message :smile: hope ur havigna gr8 day:) (im sick with sore throat! ...) neways.. here we go

Im a (kinda) proud owner of a 95 Civic GLi HB here in Australia. Which brings me to my first question,

1) What is the american equivalent of a Civic Gli?

- details for my GLi are, its a 1.5L SOHC EFI engine. (not carby). We have 4 models available here in .au. they are:
breeze - 1.3L single carby - this is ultra baseline..
GL - 1.5L dual carby - baseline so 2 speak..
GLi - 1.5L fuel injected (my baaby!..)
Vti - 1.6L VTEc.. (jealousness!)

now Ive been doing alot of research, and I hear the Civic DX (at purehonda.com) they said to stay away from the DX cause its got a 'wimpy engine/ecu/?' ... um PLEASE TELL ME MY GLi is not a DX! .. (no offense DX drivers).. I just wana feel better then this fast GL that drove past me the other day..

p.s. my GLi is a 1493cc EFI (I dont know what kind of engine this has.. I get confused with all the b16a etc.. (where can i tell from inside my engine what iv really got?)

I bought the car standard 2nd hand about 3 months ago and Im getting Honda fever :smile: (Ive always wanted a nice zippy HB..) anways, Ive got a nice set of mags that come with it, and thats about it.

I do as much as i can on the engine myself. I replaced the engine oil asap, used 10w-40 castrol gtx magnetic oil (apparently pretty cool) - helps keep engine internals lubricated, and I also recently drained the manaul gearbox and changed it with the genine honda manual transmission fuel (MTF Plus) 2x1L containers..

Also replaced my air filter, (it was filthy!) with a genuine honda one, wow Im sure I noticed a slight improvement in overall power. :smile:)

And thats about it ... ;( .. BUT :smile:

Im thinkin of doing a custom cold air intake mod -> any ppl with advise/done it for the 5th gen please post replies (also I read somewhere to take out the resonator in the cold air intake (OEM) pipe..? I thought a resonator was another name for the muffler on the exaust system? must be another one on the air intake I guess? .. perhaps I can just remove this as a first step to better performance before I get around to doing the complete cold air intake mod? (can I?) or do I need to replace that resonator 'section' (p.s. I can find the resonator! - although i havent really looked :wink: hehe) with a small section of say 2.5" condute pipe?

things I dont want to do (for now! - actually im not sure if ever.. i just cant afford the $ - are, engine swaps, turbo, etc)

which brings me to headers/exausts.

first headers, Im told by a few car gurus that for my (recently late) model EFI engine, I wont really benifit that much from replacement extractors, so Iv been cool to believe this, since they arent that cheap(around A$800 here.. so thats about $400 US)

exhaust systems (what is a cat-back exaust system?!!) is that mean everything from the catalytic converter (not including) backwards? i.e. so a 2.5/3" pipe, maybe one or 2 mufflers (p.s. I havent gotten down n looked! lol - but does anyone know how many mufflers/resonators(?) are on my model?, and then the exaust tip - is that a cat-back system? is so whats the difference then to a 'custom exaust system' ...

so should I go 2 1/4 inch, 2 1/2 inch or 3" piping?

stainless steels the go eh?

what about muffler?

exaust tip - im thinking something not 2 show off - after all I dont have a VTi .. p.s. Im doing all/any of this 80% for performance, 20% for looks. well anways, I was thinking around a 4" tip? remus has a good brand name here, but does it really matter its just a tip right??

thers more I want 2 write about a few probs I have, but I'l leave that for another posting :wink:

sorry this message has been abit all over the place, but Id appreciate if a couple of u guys that know ur shit can straighten me out/clear shit up/ offer some advise/etc.

yeah! thanks yall

ttus

planetaryfunkalert
03-25-2002, 10:24 PM
Yes, you've been blessed with a D15B7, a DX motor. As for the rest:

Yes, you can just remove your intake resonator, and get a very small power gain. But, I have no info on making a custom CAI. And, since you haven't ruled out getting an engine swap and/or going turbo, this would be perfect because you wouldn't spend the money on aftermarket products.

As far as headers go, they do add a little more power, but yet again they cost a fairly large amount of money and would be useless if you swap or go turbo.

A catback exhaust system includes a muffler and all the piping from the catalytic converter back to the muffler. Size if this piping, again, depends on your future plans for your car.

I may have made a few mistakes. Sue me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: planetaryfunkalert on 2002-03-25 22:27 ]</font>

JDM Civic
03-25-2002, 10:34 PM
look under your hood down to the left on teh block. Its stamped in there D15...blah blah blah and the serial number. IF you have no markings on there, your fucked

InfamousDX
03-25-2002, 11:06 PM
hey now the d15b7 (DX) engine is not that wimpy, but there are way better engines you could get.

95GLi
03-25-2002, 11:09 PM
noooo! are u sure Im not a Ex?? its Fuel Injected remember..

Im not looking at putting an engine in for now, but if I do, whats the best 2 to choose from? I would obviously want VTEC 1.6L minimum, and maybe maximum.. I dont want 2 spend more than a few grand.. ahh.. its still a pipe dream! (p.s i dont spose I could sell my

for now, I still want to go with an exaust catback system and maybe a custom CAI. - to help get the best I can out of my current hardware... for less than $400 im prepared to do that..

I know I can get a stainless steel 3" cat back system with sports exaust/4"tip for A$310 all up (thats maybe $160 us) - not bad eh? i think so.. and them I can spend minimal $ to do a custom intake mod/maybe also a k&amp;n filter (anyone use these on the civis? they any good like some say? - i seem 2 get differeing opinions...)

someone told me since my engine is only 1493cc a 3" catback exaust piping may actaully decrease my power! - any thoughts here?

thanks guys

so reviewing

a) is a GLi really a DX (sure its not Ex? - if not, whats an ex?) dont gimme yes/no answer thnkx :wink:

b) best replacement engine - i dont really care about quality of input here, cause im not looking at really doing it, more for interest/knowledge

c) exaust system - mandrel bend pipe diameter appropriate for me
- is there different kinds of sports mufflers, what features should I look for?
- does tip diameter make a difference in power - i couldnt see so, only noise right?

d) cold air intake/induction, WHY CANT I FIND A NICE URL WITH NICE BREADOWN ON HOW TO DO CUSTOM! Best one I can find is http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t15003.html starts with a nice engine bay shot - very similar to mine, but then turns in2 complete text.. i know heap of u out there have done this mod! .. i just dont wanna phuck up my oem shit :smile: thnx

please reply :roll: fanx:)

JDM Civic
03-25-2002, 11:14 PM
definetly dont go 3" piping unless your running a dirty turbo setup. 2.25" at most.

as for swap go B16A2

170hp, 117 tq. should run you cheap. Order it from the states.

planetaryfunkalert
03-25-2002, 11:51 PM
On 2002-03-25 23:09, 95GLi wrote:
noooo! are u sure Im not a Ex?? its Fuel Injected remember..

Im not looking at putting an engine in for now, but if I do, whats the best 2 to choose from? I would obviously want VTEC 1.6L minimum, and maybe maximum.. I dont want 2 spend more than a few grand.. ahh.. its still a pipe dream! (p.s i dont spose I could sell my

for now, I still want to go with an exaust catback system and maybe a custom CAI. - to help get the best I can out of my current hardware... for less than $400 im prepared to do that..

I know I can get a stainless steel 3" cat back system with sports exaust/4"tip for A$310 all up (thats maybe $160 us) - not bad eh? i think so.. and them I can spend minimal $ to do a custom intake mod/maybe also a k&amp;n filter (anyone use these on the civis? they any good like some say? - i seem 2 get differeing opinions...)

someone told me since my engine is only 1493cc a 3" catback exaust piping may actaully decrease my power! - any thoughts here?

thanks guys

so reviewing

a) is a GLi really a DX (sure its not Ex? - if not, whats an ex?) dont gimme yes/no answer thnkx :wink:

b) best replacement engine - i dont really care about quality of input here, cause im not looking at really doing it, more for interest/knowledge

c) exaust system - mandrel bend pipe diameter appropriate for me
- is there different kinds of sports mufflers, what features should I look for?
- does tip diameter make a difference in power - i couldnt see so, only noise right?

d) cold air intake/induction, WHY CANT I FIND A NICE URL WITH NICE BREADOWN ON HOW TO DO CUSTOM! Best one I can find is http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t15003.html starts with a nice engine bay shot - very similar to mine, but then turns in2 complete text.. i know heap of u out there have done this mod! .. i just dont wanna phuck up my oem shit :smile: thnx

please reply :roll: fanx:)

No, you definitely do not have an EX Civic if your displacement is only 1493cc (1.5L). The EX models were 1.6L and had VTEC.

I, and no one else here, can tell you which engine is right for what you want. It all depends on this and that.

And... I'm not sure how much $400 is in Australia, but in American dollars, it will cost slightly more than that to get a reputable cat-back exhaust. Like JDM Civic said, a diameter that large (3 in.) on an NA engine won't really be all that functional.

Bleh.

PanzerM
03-26-2002, 12:44 AM
carbs on a civic.......Now I like to play with that toy.