PDA

View Full Version : Firebird or Mustang??? pros and cons



Iwantspeed
04-27-2002, 02:29 AM
Whats better a Firebird or a Mustang? What can you do more with speed wise?

427Vette
04-27-2002, 02:36 AM
In my opinion. you should consider these two things, if your gonna get a firebird make sure its a formula, if its a mustang, make sure its a 5 liter, im not really into these cars so i cant really tell you much about them, but, i know a vette can beat them both.... :grin:

Manning
04-27-2002, 02:49 AM
I prefer Firebirds. I've downloaded lots of video and very rarely have I seen a Mustang outrun a Firebird. It's hard to say though because unless you know what sort of mods they have, it's hard to say which one is really best. It's probably more a matter of opinion anyway--mine just happens to rest on the Firebird. Get what ya want! :grin:

Slow79Camaro
04-27-2002, 02:50 AM
I would go with the firebird I am a GM fan myself I find GM parts to be cheaper and more aboundant but mustang parts are everywhere too. They are both good choice but I would pick the firebird. If I were you I would pick a 80 something formula for pretty cheap wit a 350 do up the heads a nice cam headers exhaust headers and a 150 shot

Anonymous
04-27-2002, 05:34 AM
trans am... make that a ram air trans am..god i love those things...even cobra's aren't on the same level...

1FastWS6
04-27-2002, 01:10 PM
Id say Firebird. Trans Am or not. If you like the kit and spoiler its for you, but I love the Formula's. esp the Ram Air :grin:

crack3rjack
04-27-2002, 06:38 PM
On 2002-04-27 05:34, gixer wrote:
trans am... make that a ram air trans am..god i love those things...even cobra's aren't on the same level...



easily my favoite domestic - i would kill for a ta :grin: :grin:

Hurley
04-27-2002, 08:51 PM
Now for a word from the eternal Mustang fan:
I say go with a '90 to '93 5.0L Mustang. I don't know much about F-Bodies, but I know for a fact that a lot of parts are available for the Mustang. In my 5.0 I can pull 8 car lenghts on a late 80's Firebird GTA(the one with a Vette engine), 6 on a '96 T/A, and 20 or more on a Civic :lol: . I'm a die hard Ford fanatic, so I could be wrong, but around Oklahoma Mustangs rule the street racing scene.

1FastWS6
04-28-2002, 12:52 AM
On 2002-04-27 20:51, Hurley wrote:
Now for a word from the eternal Mustang fan:
I say go with a '90 to '93 5.0L Mustang. I don't know much about F-Bodies, but I know for a fact that a lot of parts are available for the Mustang. In my 5.0 I can pull 8 car lenghts on a late 80's Firebird GTA(the one with a Vette engine), 6 on a '96 T/A, and 20 or more on a Civic :lol: . I'm a die hard Ford fanatic, so I could be wrong, but around Oklahoma Mustangs rule the street racing scene.


Damn forced induction :lol:

Adam
04-28-2002, 01:55 AM
I would go for the 5.0L because it is a very cheap car (around $3000-$4000). It sounds awesome (better than any 5.7L Chevy)... it has the biggest performance aftermarket of any car (key word is performance)... it's also pretty cheap and also repairs are cheap to do.

However if I had the money I would get a LT1 Chevrolet or a 2003 Cobra.

Anonymous
04-28-2002, 04:46 AM
On 2002-04-27 18:38, crack3rjack wrote:


On 2002-04-27 05:34, gixer wrote:
trans am... make that a ram air trans am..god i love those things...even cobra's aren't on the same level...



it's a close 2nd for me...the first would have to be the godly z06...

easily my favoite domestic - i would kill for a ta :grin: :grin:
:grin:

Anonymous
04-28-2002, 04:48 AM
On 2002-04-27 13:10, 1FastWS6 wrote:
Id say Firebird. Trans Am or not. If you like the kit and spoiler its for you, but I love the Formula's. esp the Ram Air :grin:



formula's kick ass too....

crack3rjack
04-28-2002, 01:49 PM
On 2002-04-28 04:46, gixer wrote:


On 2002-04-27 18:38, crack3rjack wrote:


On 2002-04-27 05:34, gixer wrote:
trans am... make that a ram air trans am..god i love those things...even cobra's aren't on the same level...



it's a close 2nd for me...the first would have to be the godly z06...

easily my favoite domestic - i would kill for a ta :grin: :grin:
:grin:



:lol: :lol: z06's kick ass too, but it might be a tough decision between one of those and a nice ta. i think the ta would win

riceboy
04-28-2002, 03:09 PM
It's a personal decision... and preference. I bought mine based on looks and performance... I had a choice of my WS6, a '02 C5, or a used '92 Viper RT/10 ($29k w/32k miles), but I went with the WS6 because GM will kill the fbods in a few months. They already stopped taking orders for new ones. There's always time for a vette or viper in the future. :grin:

brandon1221
04-28-2002, 03:15 PM
between those 2 id go with a new model ram am trans am. for some reason i just like how they look

MdniteDrftr
04-28-2002, 05:18 PM
I'd perfer an early 90's mustang wih the 5.0. They look good, sound good, and you have so many choices when it comes mods.

DMC007
04-28-2002, 05:24 PM
cons(both) low gas mileage, cons (both) pos with 120-130 mpg governer, cons (both) shitty v8 honda gets 160 hp from 1.6 litre, fukin firebird got 5.7 and whips out 310 and mustang got 4.6 and whips 260 wtf it should be more, cons(both) no shitty traction rwd doesnt compare shi to any import rwd like bmw or acura or toyota pros (none) fact - dont get pos domestic, get anything not made in usa. nuff said

v8rcul8r
04-28-2002, 05:39 PM
On 2002-04-28 17:24, DMC007 wrote:
cons(both) low gas mileage, cons (both) pos with 120-130 mpg governer, cons (both) shitty v8 honda gets 160 hp from 1.6 litre, fukin firebird got 5.7 and whips out 310 and mustang got 4.6 and whips 260 wtf it should be more, cons(both) no shitty traction rwd doesnt compare shi to any import rwd like bmw or acura or toyota pros (none) fact - dont get pos domestic, get anything not made in usa. nuff said

Wow, anyone notice the TOTAL LACK OF INTELLIGENT COMMENT that seems so common now?

crack3rjack
04-28-2002, 07:57 PM
On 2002-04-28 17:39, v8rcul8r wrote:


On 2002-04-28 17:24, DMC007 wrote:
cons(both) low gas mileage, cons (both) pos with 120-130 mpg governer, cons (both) shitty v8 honda gets 160 hp from 1.6 litre, fukin firebird got 5.7 and whips out 310 and mustang got 4.6 and whips 260 wtf it should be more, cons(both) no shitty traction rwd doesnt compare shi to any import rwd like bmw or acura or toyota pros (none) fact - dont get pos domestic, get anything not made in usa. nuff said

Wow, anyone notice the TOTAL LACK OF INTELLIGENT COMMENT that seems so common now?


lets repeat that a few times

i notice you didnt list the pros - torque is fun as hell :grin: :grin: , youll turn more heads with a ta than with a civic (even though i love imports too), there easier and cheaper to mod, and you get better results for the most part, mustangs have one of the largest aftermarket support of any car... the list goes on and on

iwantspeed asked for inteligent opinions, not to be flamed by a closed minded ass.

Anonymous
04-28-2002, 10:19 PM
On 2002-04-28 17:24, DMC007 wrote:
cons(both) low gas mileage, cons (both) pos with 120-130 mpg governer, cons (both) shitty v8 honda gets 160 hp from 1.6 litre, fukin firebird got 5.7 and whips out 310 and mustang got 4.6 and whips 260 wtf it should be more, cons(both) no shitty traction rwd doesnt compare shi to any import rwd like bmw or acura or toyota pros (none) fact - dont get pos domestic, get anything not made in usa. nuff said



:roll:

StalkerGSX
04-29-2002, 08:39 AM
I love how people say, the Mustang is faster, has more parts available, the TA is faster, has more parts avail.

Its all about personal preference. Parts are available in equal abundance for most of those late model performance cars.

Which is faster? Whichever has the most money put into it, plain and simple. One Mustang talks about pulling several car lengths ahead of a TA with a Vette engine. What if you were racing an IROC with a 383 TPI Stroker with a 150 shot? Think you would be so far ahead then?

Dont get me wrong, I love both Mustangs and GM's alike. A nice car is a nice car. But the amount of speed you get is directly related to the amount of money you have put into it.

dynasty2003
05-02-2002, 09:09 PM
On 2002-04-28 17:24, DMC007 wrote:
cons(both) low gas mileage, cons (both) pos with 120-130 mpg governer, cons (both) shitty v8 honda gets 160 hp from 1.6 litre, fukin firebird got 5.7 and whips out 310 and mustang got 4.6 and whips 260 wtf it should be more, cons(both) no shitty traction rwd doesnt compare shi to any import rwd like bmw or acura or toyota pros (none) fact - dont get pos domestic, get anything not made in usa. nuff said


you = have IQ of a brick. :grin:

COBRACOMP
05-02-2002, 09:50 PM
Both r great choices, just dont listen to that guy that said domestics r POS's, and then dont start thinking that a mustang is better than a camaro or a camaro is better than a mustang. its all about what u got put into it.

Civic Type-S
05-02-2002, 09:57 PM
Mustangs got more parts no Doubt about it.....

v8rcul8r
05-02-2002, 10:03 PM
On 2002-05-02 21:50, COBRACOMP wrote:
Both r great choices, just dont listen to that guy that said domestics r POS's, and then dont start thinking that a mustang is better than a camaro or a camaro is better than a mustang. its all about what u got put into it.

yupyup

sohc_stang
05-10-2002, 10:51 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"cons(both) low gas mileage, cons (both) pos with 120-130 mpg governer, cons (both) shitty v8 honda gets 160 hp from 1.6 litre, fukin firebird got 5.7 and whips out 310 and mustang got 4.6 and whips 260 wtf it should be more, cons(both) no shitty traction rwd doesnt compare shi to any import rwd like bmw or acura or toyota pros (none) fact - dont get pos domestic, get anything not made in usa. nuff said"

This is a typical rice boy comment
:roll:
if you want to be the queen of 'hp per liter', you should have bought a model airplane that get 40 000hp per liter. by the way, LS1 camaros dyno at 300hp to the wheels, which is about 360 at the crank. Im not even a camaro fan and i know this. Also, you little 1.6 liter engine is a shitbox with maybe 1/5th the potential of an LS1. Stop trying to compare a high 12 second car against a high 15 second car you ignorant troll :lol:

stingray67luv
05-10-2002, 07:48 PM
i agree with the 427vette u rock

5L_rice_eater
05-11-2002, 02:44 AM
it will all come down to 2 things
#1 money.....how much do you have to spend??
#2 style....what do you like more??
i am a mustang guy. so i will say mustang i have had nothing but bad luck with chevy's and hence i dont like them. i pour my heart and soul into my stangs(yes i have a few)
my 85 t-top cannot touch a new ss. but when im done it will be able to beat most of em. my 88 GT in the sig out runs most anything around. but it rarely sees the street. anything can be done with any car. i can take a yugo and make it do 9's but that would take a fortune. i have a buddy of mine with a 90 lx nochback mustang with a twing turbo kit that he built out of the junk yard. he has less than 5k in the car total(1k to buy 2500 suspension and 1500 in rebuilt trans and TT kit) his car pulls 12.4's all day on dot slicks. for the price he has in his car he couldnt have bought a wrecked 6cylinder trans am.

Tommyquest
05-12-2002, 02:15 AM
I wouldn't buy either one. They're only 2wd :grin: .If your going to buy one get a '90-'92 notchback ('93 didn't have forged pistons)