PDA

View Full Version : How to drift in video games

PREYL00D
04-27-2002, 12:49 AM
This works for most of the games but is pretty hard to happen sometimes. So far I've tried it on Tokyo and Project Gotham and it works but you gotta be good to get it right... Right before you're about to take the turn just downshift but keep for foot on the gas and press break if required. I don't think this works on GT2 though.... oh well, experiment with it and have fun :smile:

El Jefe
04-27-2002, 12:45 PM
what i do in GT3 if i feel a bit silly;

buy super soft tyres.

put them on a rear wheel car, let them melt away in anything but 'beginner' mode'

drift away! (you will find that the front wheels are still green whilst your back wheels are toast red.'

:wink:

Anonymous
04-28-2002, 02:36 AM
lol, thats pretty good. I think if you have any car over 300hp and you take a corner fast you can drift. It works good with the s2000 i think.

ItDiesToday
05-01-2002, 12:47 PM
dont be stoopid stealth.. taking a corner fast?? no way!! you are gonna end up power sliding.. what u do is speed up and brake before corners entrance to shift the weight to the front load, then u accelerate and tap on the gas.. while directing your front tires towards the corners exit.. HP has nothing to do with drift... also.. if your tires arent slipping well. u can drop a gear to stay in the high rpm area or Sidebrake to keep your angle.. tap side break if u decide to use!! :lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: inertiadrifter on 2002-05-01 12:48 ]</font>

El Jefe
05-01-2002, 02:40 PM
On 2002-05-01 12:47, inertiadrifter wrote:
dont be stoopid stealth.. taking a corner fast?? no way!! you are gonna end up power sliding.. what u do is speed up and brake before corners entrance to shift the weight to the front load, then u accelerate and tap on the gas.. while directing your front tires towards the corners exit.. HP has nothing to do with drift... also.. if your tires arent slipping well. u can drop a gear to stay in the high rpm area or Sidebrake to keep your angle.. tap side break if u decide to use!! :lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: inertiadrifter on 2002-05-01 12:48 ]</font>

so you are saying you can drift in any RWD car? you realise that momemtum needs to be created in order to drift (thus building inertia)?

an underpowered car is certainly not suitable for 'drifting'. there are certain types of cars which are adapted to drifing because of their neutral handling, weight distributions and so forth. (S13 silvia/180sx being a classic example of a good drift car)

Anyways this is beside the point. drifitng in a computer game is nothing like drifting in real life. Game physics (although very good in GT3's case) is not perfect. You cannot apply all your 'drifting' knowledge on a computer game and expect it to work. This is evident in GT3. There is stabilizers to deal with as well as traction control.

ItDiesToday
05-01-2002, 06:01 PM
did i ever say i could drift any RWD car.. did i say that.. i was givin him the technique to drift in the game..LOL

El Jefe
05-02-2002, 04:51 AM
you said Hp has nothing to do with drift. that is an incorrect statement. my bad.

Anonymous
05-04-2002, 12:41 AM
Lots of HP = Easier tp drift

I read it before, somesite. It talked about how to drift in gt3. And i recall it saying a car with like 250+ or 300+ HP. I know it was only some cars it was easy to do it with.

kwik_silver16
05-05-2002, 01:13 AM
your all wrong you can drift in any car and you can drift in any rwd car hp has nothing to do with it its just like inertia said fast, brake, tap da gas and go. I say that because I am doing it right now as I type. :oops:

El Jefe
05-05-2002, 02:37 AM
On 2002-05-05 01:13, kwik_silver16 wrote:
your all wrong you can drift in any car and you can drift in any rwd car hp has nothing to do with it its just like inertia said fast, brake, tap da gas and go. I say that because I am doing it right now as I type. :oops:

ok il rephrase what i was trying to get at. If you dont have enough hp, you are not going to be able to maintain momentum. Thus not create enough 'inertia' to carry you very far. Then it would look stupid.

When you are drifting, you need are losing a lot of speed. depending on how heavy the car is, there is a minimum amount of hp required to keep the momentum up.

drifting looks gay when you have to do it at low speeds.

Anonymous
05-05-2002, 03:46 AM
yah it does, im still confused. Is drifting just loosing all traction on all tires???

El Jefe
05-05-2002, 04:02 AM
On 2002-05-05 03:46, Stealth wrote:
yah it does, im still confused. Is drifting just loosing all traction on all tires???

well, essentially, you lose traction on the rear tires. the car must be powerful enough to keep the tires spinning against the opposing forces which are trying to slow down the car.

however, although the rear wheels have lost traction, the driver is still in control. (if he is skillful enough)

Anonymous
05-05-2002, 10:10 AM
So its like a power slide??

El Jefe
05-05-2002, 11:33 AM
yup

Anonymous
05-05-2002, 01:13 PM
Its like when you rally right?? Thats what drifting is....

El Jefe
05-05-2002, 05:27 PM
On 2002-05-05 13:13, Stealth wrote:
Its like when you rally right?? Thats what drifting is....
yeh, but the art of drifting is practiced on highways.

Anonymous
05-05-2002, 07:24 PM
in some of games u can hit the e-brake and then start turning and hit the accelerator

kwik_silver16
05-06-2002, 06:59 PM
ok now that I do agree with the man is a genius all of what he said since what I wrote I definetly agree with it all depends on the wieght of the car if you have a car the wieghs 100 pounds you could have a 50 hp and be able to drift.

Anonymous
05-06-2002, 11:28 PM
A go kart can drift??!!

stockciviclx
05-06-2002, 11:34 PM
haha i dunno last night i took all the traction control stuff of on the supra that has 999 hp and was doing donuts and rifting around corners once i got the thing to stop burning out through the gears i did this in arcade mode so yea anyhow was fun while i lasted

Bomex
05-09-2002, 01:29 AM
lol u can easily make cars in Gran Turismo into a drifting machine. all u do is change the settings on the car... turn off traction control and etc.

my trueno is initial d style (buts its so fucking hard to control, and u spin out ezily)

Anonymous
05-16-2002, 11:02 PM
Just rally if you wanna drift. Its a lot easier and looks awsome in reply.