PDA

View Full Version : is my crx worth salvaging?

CRXTZ
03-25-2002, 06:39 PM
My poor CRX... i was bein stupid and took a 25mph turn way to fast (like 70 mph) at any rate... i know, i'm an idiot... at any rate i swereved to avoid a car and hit a curb... damamge is minimal considering how fast i was goin but i believe i broke my front right axle, tha sturt, tha cv(?) arm, and damaged tha subframe, killed tha tire tha rim and a lil body damage on tha front right fender... i'll get some pics if i can... I just got tha car like 3 weeks ago, but my friend says it might be easier to take everything out of tha car and dump it into a shell of a crx... i think my tokico shocks are ok and my ls breaks i have are still good, i'm not sure about tha groundcontrol coilovers. a mechanic said i hit tha curb so hard that tha subframe pushed my motor (b18b) over and its rubbing against tha other side of tha ebay. so my options are to part out my car and take tha loss, swap everything salvagable into another car, or my friend says i should keep it strictly for drag aplications and change tha subframe into a tube frame (?) or something or another... i'm asking for any help on tha matter, thanx. Oh yeah 1 way insurance, so they can't help.
Peace

kayakqueen7
03-25-2002, 07:04 PM
it seems like you would save more if you just took all your fancy stuff out of the wrecked rex and drop into another cheap one you find. dont bother with the wrecked one, it will never be right again no matter how many times you try and fix it. as far as the dragster idea, do you want a daily driver or something purely for raceing? its your decision. i would personally prefer the daily driver...... :grin: good luck to ya

CRXTZ
03-25-2002, 07:35 PM
is tha damage that bad that its worth parting out my car and starting over again? 'cause i jus got it and i dun have that much extra money...
thanx tho for your opinion

CRXTZ
03-25-2002, 08:59 PM
any more thoughts? or am i jus gonna hafta wing it myself?

CRXTZ
03-25-2002, 11:11 PM
damn it, someone help me

kayakqueen7
03-26-2002, 12:26 PM
errrmmmmmmmm............see once you bust up your frame and alignment it just really seems to screw with every minor detail of the car which in the long run could cause you probs. maybe you got lucky, i dont know, but just an example, say you do get it repaired and fixed back up again but there was a minor alteration on the back end alignment(god knows why but these things do happen) and your rotors and brake pads get a little extra friction and wear out or dont work properly. dangerous and a pain in the butt, or your engine bay may be twisted just so that a large engine (your b18) can't cram in there like it did. it's just been my experience that you get as far away as you can from cars that have been in a wreck. getting a new rex, one that's the body only, will require you to put some elbow greese into and swap all your stuff, but it will be cheaper than car repair bills and you may have fun getting to mold the car how you want. you asked and i have wrote a book so again good luck to ya and look out for the best interest in the rex! lol :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kayakqueen7 on 2002-03-26 12:28 ]</font>

Smudge
03-26-2002, 12:30 PM
What's the year? You can pick up some decent body's for anywhere from $300 to $1200 and swap your old stuff. Otherwise, if you try and fix what you've got, it'll never be aligned. One of the best and worst things about the CRX is it's weight. It's great for speed but when you wreck it, there's not much mass to take the energy so it goes straight to the unitized body. :cool:

CRXTZ
03-26-2002, 12:55 PM
its the second gen, 89 si. where can you get a shell for 300-1200... i've been looking around a lil... and having a hard time finding one thats not to damaged...
Peace

kayakqueen7
03-26-2002, 07:11 PM
your doing the right thing, there's not exactly a crx salvage center in every city, maybe the junkyard..... :roll: :lol:

CRXTZ
03-26-2002, 07:15 PM
well i'm not only looking in my city, i'm up to get my crx anywhere in northern kali... but i dun't want rust and major body damage... i dun care about lil dents and paint and stuff... if anyone happens to know a 2nd crx, hf,dx, and si are all fine... for under 500 bucks around here i'll be more than happy to go and get it...
Peace

Str8Rider36
03-26-2002, 07:31 PM
Hey Id say just save up and buy a new one and sell the old parts. or save the old parts that are good and donate the car and get a tax deduction. Sorry to hear that news bro. expecially from a fellow bay area person. :cry:

CrX
03-30-2002, 11:15 PM
once you Mess up the alinmnt on the frame is called TOTALED, thats wher they call the line of totled, no matter what. the frames the structure of the car and if its fucekd up you will have probems all the time with ya car stuff will start to break alor, its like a bulding wants he frames bent its fucked :grin:

fiasco88
03-31-2002, 07:20 AM
Dude, you live in Cali. I know there have got to be some CRXs out there w/o motors sitting around. Just keep your eyes peeled and one will turn up within a short amount of time.