PDA

View Full Version : JDM headlight question

lucaq
10-25-2002, 12:10 PM
So i am a novice headlight guru (i wish there was a lighting forum here) and i have a question about JDM headlights. They are intended for right hand drive correct? They are ECE code? That means that they have a splash-up on the left hand. Do people that convert to JDM spec here in the us try to fix this prob or do they even care that they can blind other drivers? The upward splash causes alot of glare for drivers in Left Hand Drive countries such as USA when it was origiontally intended to illuminate streetsigns. Is there any way to fix it? Would LHD spec ECE code lights still be considered "JDM" if they took H series bulbs instead of 900X bulbs?

I think i found some ASS HOLE in a civic the other day with retro-fitted HIDs in JDM housings because they were so offensively blinding that i had to pull over. It looked like he had aimed them up and had his brights on! That is what inspired me to ask.

Toda Party
10-25-2002, 01:00 PM
you're right, a lot of people don't readjust their headlights to aim the opposite way with jdm lights.

people with integras know that the left light doesnt illuminate as far as the right side light does...since its reversed in japan, you blind oncoming traffic, and don't get as far on the right side for signs..

Don't know what u mean by ECU tho

lucaq
10-25-2002, 03:41 PM
If you don't know what i mean by ECE, it is a european union thing (which japan is part of as far as lighting is concerned). Basically they all agree on auto standards and markings to indicate compliance. They all accept other's compliance approval but to denote the country of origin they have a code number. Here is an exerpt from Daniel Stern lighting (lighting.mbz.org).

"
The number signifies the country in which approval was granted. Under ECE regulations, items of motor vehicle safety equipment must be tested and approved in a lab BEFORE they can be sold or installed on a motor vehicle, not just "certified" by the car maker and maybe (but not likely) tested for actual compliance after they're already on the market (as in the US system).

The lowercase 'e' in a square signifies EEC (European Economic Community) approval; the uppercase 'E' in a circle signifies ECE (Economic Comission for Europe) approval. The number just indicates where the approval was granted, not necessarily where it was designed or manufactured. Under ECE regulations, an item of motor vehicle equipment approved in one ECE member country is acceptable for use in any other country that adheres to ECE safety regulations. Here is a breakout chart of the numbers:

1 Germany
2 France
3 Italy
4 Netherlands
5 Sweden
6 Belgium
7 Hungary
8 Czecheslovakia
9 Spain
10 Yugoslavia
11 United Kingdom
12 Austria
13 Luxembourg
14 Switzerland
15 (currently vacant)
16 Norway
17 Finland
18 Denmark
19 Romania
20 Poland
21 Portugal
22 Russia
23 Greece
24 Ireland
25 Croatia
26 Slovenia
27 Slovakia
28 Belarus
29 Estonia
30 (currently vacant)
31 Bosnia-Herzegovina
32 Latvia
33 (currently vacant)
34 Bulgaria
35 (currently vacant)
36 (currently vacant)
37 Turkey
38 (currently vacant)
39 (currently vacant)
40 Yugoslavia-Macedonia
41 (currently vacant)
42 Special EC
43 Japan
44 (currently vacant)
45 Australia
46 Ukraine
47 South Africa "

So basically any TRUE JDM light should have an indicator that says E43 (with a circle around it).

XAcidManX
10-28-2002, 02:05 AM
are you a cop?

lucaq
10-28-2002, 02:15 AM
are you a cop?
are you serious?

look at my sig, i am a student... :D :bigwink:

brabus151
10-29-2002, 08:42 AM
ECE is just another set of specs for lighting like DOT, which is the dept of transp. in the us,

ece light patterns are a lot more efficient in my opinion, the glare upwards is basically non-existant and the cutoff is very crisp....

the pattern also extends farther from the vehicle than DOT, ive seen a couple cars with ECE spec lights and honestly its a lot better if u really care...

lucaq
10-29-2002, 12:19 PM
ECE is just another set of specs for lighting like DOT, which is the dept of transp. in the us,

ece light patterns are a lot more efficient in my opinion, the glare upwards is basically non-existant and the cutoff is very crisp....

the pattern also extends farther from the vehicle than DOT, ive seen a couple cars with ECE spec lights and honestly its a lot better if u really care...
I totally agree in most situations. But when you are using LHD headlights in a RHD country then they are just as bad, if not worse, as far as glare is concerned as DOT lights. I totally agree with you about them being great if you have the correct lights...i have ECE code LHD golf Rallye Lights and they are awesome...super crisp cutoff and good projection. I am talking about JDM lights (RHD) being used here in the US. It is bad because they splash up right in oncomming traffic's eyes.

B18C5er
10-30-2002, 12:45 PM
are you a cop?
are you serious?

look at my sig, i am a student... :D :bigwink:

that would be a cop's perfect cover.

j/k :P