PDA

View Full Version : Is it my alternator?

TooQuik4Joo
10-13-2002, 09:43 PM
I was driving my car 88 CRX home tonight and very slowly all my accesories started to slow down. I first noticed my windshield wipers slowin and it was scarin the shit outta me then my lights were dying slowly i could barely see the reflectors on the highway anymore. Then i looked my whole dash and none of my center dash lights were on like the heater shiet and all that crap and my indiglos were dimming slowly also. my radio has never worked even before this incident. Then BAM! The light that stopped my heart the "check engine light" Then i got pretty pissed and punched my horn and i noticed that wasn't loud at all.And when i pulled over i noticed my car making a "plub plub plub" noise and it was freaky shiet. the tow truck driver my brother and a bunch of people in the chatroom said its was my alternator please help

Cliff note(for the lazy people): what are the symptoms of a dead alternator??

KaosFire
10-13-2002, 10:34 PM
sounds like a bad alternator. Next thing that should die is the battery...see if u can turn on the car.

JDM Civic
10-14-2002, 11:39 AM
park your car and start up it lettign it idle for a good 10 minutes. If you see your stuff dying that yes its your alternator, or your battery is on its way out.

Tyr charging your battery. Sometime batterys get so low tyhat an alternator cannot charge it even when driving. You need to boost it back up to a level of at least 50%.

Try charging battery or try a new battery. It is still happens i would search for a new alternator

TooQuik4Joo
10-14-2002, 07:34 PM
Thanks guys I appreciate it. I replaced the alternator today and it was it, Took me the whole fukin day but thats ok 7 hours isn't that bad for the first alternator job on a HOnda

MdniteDrftr
10-15-2002, 07:11 PM
I had that happen to me, make sure you get a quality alternator. It took me 4 times to get 1 that would last more than a week.......