View Full Version : what is this called?

10-11-2002, 02:42 PM
I saw a eclipse a while ago, and when the person shifted gears the car look like it lowered a little and made a awesome noise that came out the muffler like a ton of air all at once.The two things happened simultaneusly. I asked somone what it was and it sounded complicated, i know its sounds weird anyone know what it is?

10-11-2002, 03:17 PM
Seems like you're describing a blowoff valve. The purpose of a blowoff valve is to release excess boost pressure built up between the throttlebody and turbo when the throttle plate closes. This does three things: Eliminate compressor surge (essentially when the boost pressure hits the throttle plate and attempts to stall the compressor wheel), helps reduce turbo lag, and sounds really bitchin. The "lowering" you saw was a combination of when the driver let off the gas, the compressed rear springs (from acceleration) brought the back of the car up, and the "engine braking" effect, making the nose take a bit of a dive. The blowoff valve doesn't lower your car if that's what you're asking. Oh, and if you haven't figured it out by now, it's for turbocharged cars only.

10-13-2002, 05:38 PM
ya i know its only for turbo , but can you tell me a website where i can find something about it, how much it costs and a place where i can buy it? thanx


10-13-2002, 07:01 PM

you can get a 1st gen BOV for pretty damn cheap there.

you want to get more info on them try here.


JDM Civic
10-13-2002, 07:42 PM
Sounds to me like you are referring to a BOV and dropping out of MAX BOOST.

When a car is shifted that is turbo the car will slow down and dive a bit. Once the car is back up in teh RPM range it will howl swirling noise and it will regian its fast position.

The BOV that you hear should be a quiet or loud PSSHHHHH or somethign similar. Every BOV is different. It comes from teh engien bay and not the exhaust though....

The loud noise you may have heard from the exhaust may have been a backfire. Common among turbo cars. Usually follwed by black smoke :lol:

10-14-2002, 12:34 AM
or flames :D

10-14-2002, 10:10 AM
ya i know its only for turbo , but can you tell me a website where i can find something about it, how much it costs and a place where i can buy it? thanx


is your car turbo?

10-14-2002, 05:32 PM
nope its not turbo, i have a 91 eclipse gs but im gonna sell it and get a turbo eclipse. And no it was defiently normal didnt shoot out smoke or flames. Sounds like it is a blow off valve. Whats the best bov for a eclipse?

10-14-2002, 06:25 PM
it all depends on what else is done to your car, im an all motor guy, so ill leave this to the boosties

10-27-2002, 10:35 PM
All BOVs are the same, except for quality. There are two kinds of BOVs (in my opinion at least), loud obnoxious ones (Turbo XS, ect. these usualy cost like 150$) or ones that are all about quality (HKS SSQ, Apexi, Blitz). But thats just me. You can get attachments for the HKS and Blitz ones that make them louder, but after a while it would get on my nerves so i would never buy it.