PDA

View Full Version : Turbo chargers, which is the best kit?

Del Daddy
10-11-2002, 10:38 AM
I was wondering what the best turbo kit would be for my del Sol VTEC(B16a3). A 99-00 Civic Si turbo kit would also fit. I heard the drag gen 3 would good, and also the greddy. Any help or advice would be great.

JDM Civic
10-11-2002, 01:27 PM
What is teh car ebing used for? Stret driven?

For a street setup i would choose somethign with a T3 or similar sized turbo. You want instant spool and chances are you wont run over 300hp on teh street.

Revhard, Drag 3, FMAX, Greddy, Apexi, or you could build your own. The mosre you pay the faster you can go.

You will be limited to 8psi on internals i noit changed. Tuning is key and you can run higher if you wish...

sm0ky
10-17-2002, 10:18 PM
id go with revhard

alot of my friends have the revhard turbos

but like he said, if your boosting over 8 you probably want to think about building up the internals.

Anonymous
10-18-2002, 03:11 PM
im a big hks fan but i dont think u can get a kit for ur car.

Toda Party
10-19-2002, 08:49 AM
RevHard makes nice kits, so does maxrev (maxrev.com)....drag 3 is ok, greddy SUCKS

importpower
10-28-2002, 06:48 AM
What is the recommended revhard kit for the b18 series. I read there recommendations but they don't say how well each does at higher boost (12-15 psi) or if the kits can handle it. Theres the Stage 1 , 2, 2c, and 3.

Toda Party
10-28-2002, 09:00 AM
What is the recommended revhard kit for the b18 series. I read there recommendations but they don't say how well each does at higher boost (12-15 psi) or if the kits can handle it. Theres the Stage 1 , 2, 2c, and 3.

it depends on how much ur willing to spend...2c is probably the best bang for ur buck...

how well these do at higher boost depends on ur fuel delivery and tuning...results will differ depending on those factors, as well as if u have any other work done, such as a pnp head, intake manifold, tubular equal length manifold, internal work, etc etc etc

hondaluvr
10-29-2002, 08:27 AM
What would be the reccomended upgrading of internals for higher psi on turbos? Minimum and and above normal upgrading would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Such as:
Low compression pistons
Connecting Rods
Camshaft
Titanium Valve Springs and retainers
Things of this sort?

Toda Party
10-29-2002, 08:36 AM
What would be the reccomended upgrading of internals for higher psi on turbos? Minimum and and above normal upgrading would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Such as:
Low compression pistons
Connecting Rods
Camshaft
Titanium Valve Springs and retainers
Things of this sort?

depends.

forged components certainly help
if ur planning to run a decent amount of boost, you'd want to get the block resleeved
u dont need new cams, and even if you do, it should be one of the last things you do
no need for a new valvetrain if ur keeping stock cams

Basically for a seriously built block its very expensive.

hondaluvr
10-29-2002, 10:17 AM
I forgot to mention to point of:
Bored out throttle body
intake manifold
cam gears
cam sprocket
stainless steel valves (or high temper)
underdrive pulleys
would these things all contribute to better performance along the lines with the use of a turbo?

-=Supreme1=-
10-29-2002, 11:08 AM
I like drag gen III Cuz you have the option of picking which trim turbo you get from turbonetics, and they're warrantied. And believe me, if that's your setup thus far^ size does matter! Most kits won't give you that option. And currently you now can also opt for a tial wastegate instead of the delta gate, which was the only real reason stopping people from getting one because of it's lack of real tunability... But I have the mark II deltagate, and havn't had any probs with it.

Anonymous
10-31-2002, 12:30 PM
greddy SUCKS lol, tell me how greddy sucks
greddy> rev hard 2c

DBallz
11-04-2002, 10:13 AM
I was wondering what the best turbo kit would be for my del Sol VTEC(B16a3). A 99-00 Civic Si turbo kit would also fit. I heard the drag gen 3 would good, and also the greddy. Any help or advice would be great.

Wel I have a Greddy Turbo kit in my car and because I knew what kind of turbo it had I upgraded the turbo before I installed it! When you purchase the kit the turbo is a 18g(only good for 400hp) a large turbo but not as large as RevHard, F-max, or Drag. But I upgraded the turbo to a 20g that can push out well over 500hp. I'm using the small kit downpipe with a 2.5"back Apex-i N1 exhaust. So my spool up is quick and WOT is sick! I have a my motor built and converted from b16 to b16 2.0L and tuned with Hondata. Although I only have 16psi tuned, I am seeing 370whp I'm going for 450 with juice by next spring with more tuning and full 3" downpipe back.[/url]

another_civic
11-04-2002, 10:06 PM
I've got a t3/t4 setup and it seems to be working great. on a civic. I would consider getting a smaller turbo T28 or similiar if you don't need a lot of boost. stock motors can't handle that much anyway.

but I ran into a 97 GST eclipse on the street, and he had a new t28 installed. we did a roll on from 20 mph and his turbo spooled up so fast his wheels broke loose. he pulled about a car on me before I was at full boost. then I beat him. but, dang that turbo spooled up fast...

95DSMTURBO
11-06-2002, 06:14 PM
I've got a t3/t4 setup and it seems to be working great. on a civic. I would consider getting a smaller turbo T28 or similiar if you don't need a lot of boost. stock motors can't handle that much anyway.

but I ran into a 97 GST eclipse on the street, and he had a new t28 installed. we did a roll on from 20 mph and his turbo spooled up so fast his wheels broke loose. he pulled about a car on me before I was at full boost. then I beat him. but, dang that turbo spooled up fast...

I have the same thing with my little t-25, I spool helishly fast. But my top end is horrid!

I asked this question in another thread in this forum, but comparing turbo's what could you''ll say about the 16g versus the t-28.

Thanks.

the Zar
11-07-2002, 07:33 PM
just remember a small turbo will spool up faster than a big one, so R1RacerX bigger isn't always better.

sprayed
11-12-2002, 09:10 PM
greddy SUCKS
wow toda, didnt expect that from you.

greddy does not suck, greddy is a very high quality kit that has many limitations, but only because it is a STREET LEGAL kit. How many manufacturers can say that! It is also about the easiest to install and best fitting turbo kit on the market. Yes it is overpriced but you have to think, they went through all the trouble of making it smog legal, even in CA.
If you like the extra kick the greddy kit gives/you will keep it at stock boost setting, then this is the best kit for you. If you want crazy amounts of HP then go buy a max rev thats my best choice

sprayed
11-12-2002, 09:20 PM
I like drag gen III Cuz you have the option of picking which trim turbo you get from turbonetics, and they're warrantied. And believe me, if that's your setup thus far^ size does matter! Most kits won't give you that option. And currently you now can also opt for a tial wastegate instead of the delta gate, which was the only real reason stopping people from getting one because of it's lack of real tunability... But I have the mark II deltagate, and havn't had any probs with it.
max rev has the perfect turbo for a nice street/strip set-up, and trust me, if there is a problem with the turbo, they will not pay for it. They can say you ran it at a higher pressure than recommended (40psi compared to and engines 80psi<---estimated), or it was not installed correctly, or it was not manitained/taken care of propertly, or whatever. Turbos really dont go bad fast, its human error, which they will not pay for, thats just good advertising. the tial WG is an issue but its not the only issue. they have a poorly design that causes spikes at times. spikes+stock block=boom. also their intercooler is not as efficient as say max rev's for example. and what exactly do you mean by tunability via wastegate

sprayed
11-12-2002, 09:25 PM
hey another, i havent talked to you in a while, how are you doing on your set up, i hope youre running that t3/t4 on the ls engine. I'd really like to go with you to the track sometime, i think i might be going to dyno my car at speed works next sat. at speedworks, i believe 40 for 3 runs wanna come