PDA

View Full Version : marijuana and the law...

Harry
09-05-2002, 01:06 AM
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20020904/pot_legalize_senate_020904/TopStories/story/

:o

XsennaiX
09-05-2002, 01:14 AM
i hope so.

Anonymous
09-05-2002, 02:22 PM
i hope so.

Fast4Life
09-05-2002, 04:34 PM
Legalize it, life will be better for everyone

RicoSuave
09-05-2002, 10:03 PM
I've been praying for this every night. If this happens my pupils will be perminately dialated

Harry
09-05-2002, 11:03 PM
but roadside won't you be out of a job? :lol:

Roadside Prophet
09-06-2002, 02:12 PM
woooooooooooooooo

if it gets legalized i will be smoking an ounce a day.

Car
09-08-2002, 02:25 AM
you guys know if it gets legalized its just gonna cost you a lot more to get high... taxes!

RicoSuave
09-08-2002, 12:34 PM
you guys know if it gets legalized its just gonna cost you a lot more to get high... taxes!

not hugely, the prices are inflated as hell already. Look at holland, shits legal there and noone is compaling about the price. Dealers can charge whatever the fuck they wanna, least if its leagalized it will become a compeative industry

Harry
09-08-2002, 04:44 PM
Yup, then it becomes part of the free market, prices will actually drop. Anything illegal that can only be bought in the black market is always going to be inflated in price.

blaze16
09-10-2002, 03:37 PM
it is already de-criminalized in Nevada USA, the laws on it are you have to be 18 to purchase it, u cannot have more than 2 ounces in your possesion or u get fined, and when you consume it, it has to be done in private, so u cant walk down the street w/ a bong in your hand :P

Harry
09-10-2002, 09:29 PM
You sure about that? From what I understand it's just something they are considering.

blaze16
10-01-2002, 05:17 PM
from what i hear they already voted on it, i seen on the news they were talkin about the votes b4 it was de-criminalized

Harry
10-01-2002, 11:47 PM
In Chretien's speach yesterday with the queen, they stated that they are going to take a serious look at the senate commitee's recommendation of legalizing weed, but due to the responsibility canada has in terms of respecting global policies on the issue, the result will more likely be the decriminalizing of possession. Their main concern is slapping criminal records on young people just because they have pot. This is based on just what I retained out of the article today in the Ottawa Citizen. And there's your update! :)

Roadside Prophet
10-02-2002, 05:06 PM
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil:

Harry
10-02-2002, 06:09 PM
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil:
Trust me you should be happy. With the cdn gov't, it's an inch at a time or nothing. No giant leaps here, just snailpace movements. Take it. :nod:

Harry
10-05-2002, 09:17 PM
I must seem like a potheat for posting all this, but I'm really not. :uhoh:
Anyway, here's the latest.

http://www.canada.com/search/site/story.asp?id=34E5A4C9-31F6-43F6-A7E6-4FB308998072

http://www.canada.com/search/site/story.asp?id=E2635BBD-3E3E-4B7F-B3DA-759A56A8B08D

Roadside Prophet
10-07-2002, 09:31 AM
ya...you do seem like a pot heat

:uhoh:

Dekane-CRX
10-07-2002, 02:10 PM
i once knew a pot heat~~~

RiceCooker
10-14-2002, 09:07 PM
it'll never be legalized in our lifetime..just de-criminalized...and i hope it stays illegal...to many reasons why i want it to

Harry
10-15-2002, 01:26 AM
like???

Roadside Prophet
10-15-2002, 03:55 PM
if weed is illegal than alcohol should be illegal with harsher penaltys for having it

dont fucking argue that cuz you know you wont win.

Fast4Life
10-15-2002, 04:54 PM
whats the diff between de-criminalizing and legalizing?

Anonymous
10-15-2002, 05:32 PM
if weed is illegal than alcohol should be illegal with harsher penaltys for having it

dont fucking argue that cuz you know you wont win.

you're right about that one. its unusual why that differentiation actually exists.

Roadside Prophet
10-16-2002, 03:35 PM

to the best of my knowledge de criminalizing just makes it so you dont get arrested or fined for having it, but its still illegal, maybe you'd get a ticket or something :-?

and legalizing... its legal... with some restrictions, but smoking and posession is A-OK

Harry
10-16-2002, 11:15 PM

Criminalized: If you get convicted of possession, you have a fine and or jail time, as well as a criminal record.

Decriminalized: Fines and jailtime stay the same, but no criminal record.

The issue here is the extreme handicap that is placed upon a person. especially young people trying to enter the workforce.
With a criminal record in Canada, you:
-cannot apply for certain jobs that involve security clearance/money etc.
-are inelligeble to work for most large corporations.
-can be refused work by anybody based on the record alone.
-cannot apply for a liquor license to be issued under your name
-cannot apply for US citizenship
-cannot enter the US
-cannot enter many other countries
These are just some of the things off the top of my head. I'm sure there are some even more severe. You don't have to be a user to agree that the penalty is too severe.

Harry
12-17-2002, 01:21 AM
UPDATE

Ok they're starting to get serious. These are the words of the Canadian Minister of Justice. I have bolded the points of interest for the lazy.

OTTAWA (CP) - The federal government may introduce legislation early in the new year to decriminalize the use of marijuana, says Justice Minister Martin Cauchon. "If we're talking about that question of decriminalizing marijuana, we may move ahead quickly as a government," he said Monday outside the House of Commons. "I don't like to give you a date or a time frame, but let's say the beginning of next year, the four first months of next year."

Cauchon said the long-awaited bill would depend partly on the views of a special Commons committee which studied the use of non-medical drugs.

The committee released the first of two reports Monday, recommending that heroin addicts in major cities should have safe-injection sites and needle-exchange programs. It also said two prisons should be converted into treatment centres for inmates.

A second report is due Thursday. That report is expected to recommend that growing pot for personal use should not be a crime.

Sources familiar with the work of the committee said the move to decriminalize marijuana would still make the possession of pot illegal, but the punishment would be a fine rather than a criminal record.

"If you're going to decriminalize marijuana where is a person supposed to get it?" said one well-placed source, who confirmed that the committee is in favour of letting Canadians grow their own pot.
A Senate committee report issued in September went even further, saying marijuana should be legalized for use by anybody over the age of 16.

The committee found that moderate use of the drug poses no serious long-term dangers for adults and could be sold under controlled circumstances, like liquor or in drug stores.

The government's throne speech this fall promised changes to drug laws, including "the possibility of the decriminalization of marijuana possession."

Cauchon has said he would consider replacing jail time and criminal records for pot convictions with fines.

Critics said Cauchon should not have spoken out before the committee tabled its report.

Alliance MP Randy White said his party remains opposed to the decriminalization of marijuana.

And there's more......

OTTAWA (CP) - Current penalties for pot possession are too stiff, a parliamentary committee said Thursday, in recommending fines rather than criminal convictions for possessing small amounts. "Smoking any amount of marijuana is unhealthy, but the consequences of conviction for a small amount of marijuana for personal use are disproportionate to the potential harm," said Liberal MP Paddy Torsney, chair of the committee.

Possession of up to 30 grams of marijuana should be treated as a regulatory offence and not land someone a criminal record, the special parliamentary committee on the non-medicinal use of drugs recommended.
Critics, both in Canada and the United States, were quick to jump on the recommendations.

But the report got a favourable response from Justice Minister Martin Cauchon, who has promised to ease marijuana possession laws early in the new year.

Cauchon thanked the committee Thursday for its "very interesting, very important" recommendations.

"Let me be clear here," he added. "What we're talking about is decriminalization. We're not talking about to legalize."

Canadian police and the U.S. drug control czar said easing the penalties is a step in the wrong direction.

"The message this sends to our youth is that we are trivializing the use of marijuana," said Mike Niebudek, vice-president of the Canadian Police Association.

And John Walters, director of the U.S. office of drug control policy, held a news conference in Buffalo where he warned that softer drug policies in Canada could create border security problems and contribute to an increased flow of Canadian-grown pot to the U.S. market.

Walters warned of lax attitudes "left over from the Cheech and Chong years of the '60s," and cautioned against "reefer-madness madness."

The Commons committee was clear, however, that pot should not be legalized. And it excluded hashish and other cannabis-based products from the 30-gram leniency provision.

But for small amounts of pot - including plants cultivated at home - "fines would be paid without a court appearance and enforcement would not result in a criminal conviction," said Torsney.

The committee report, which was not unanimously endorsed, also maintains that trafficking in any amount of marijuana remain a crime, a point Cauchon stressed in an attempt to allay U.S. concerns.

"What we would like to do is be even tougher on those involved in organized crime and smuggling drugs and trafficking," he said. "We want to make sure we focus our resources where it really counts for society."

The idea of permitting smokers to grow their own would reduce the demand for dangerous grow operations, said Torsney.

"We would prefer that you have your (own) one plant if you're a Saturday night smoker."

The report also calls for:

- Government prevention and education programs, especially for young people.

- A renewed national drug strategy and a federal drug commissioner to oversee it and report annually to Parliament.

- A stronger emphasis on stopping drug-impaired drivers.

- $3 million in federal funding each year for the Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse.

The committee did not propose an amnesty for people with records for previous possession convictions. An estimated 600,000 Canadians have criminal records for possession of cannabis products. The possession law dates from the 1920s.

Committee member Kevin Sorenson said the 30-gram limit - which translates into an ounce in street parlance and could be used to roll about 50 joints - is too high and that hefty fines should be levelled at anyone possessing up to five grams.

Hydroponically grown marijuana sells for up to $15 a gram.

New Democrat Libby Davies, another committee member, says the Liberal-dominated committee didn't go nearly far nearly.

"The NDP sees decriminalization as only a partial solution," she said.

"These recommendations need a great deal of work if we are serious about removing the intrusive power of police when it comes to personal use of cannabis."

And marijuana advocate Marc-Boris St. Maurice called the report short-sighted.

"It's a lot of political rhetoric and people getting mileage out of marijuana without any real intention to do anything," said the Marijuana Party member.

"It's just blowing smoke."

Anonymous
12-17-2002, 02:00 PM
some people are putting up an opposition to cauchon, but I think he'll come through. I heard that he used to smoke a lot of pot in his childhood too.

Roadside Prophet
12-17-2002, 03:21 PM
i smoke alot of pot but i'm not about to read harrys whole post

i'll just hope its good

Harry
12-17-2002, 10:28 PM
some people are putting up an opposition to cauchon, but I think he'll come through. I heard that he used to smoke a lot of pot in his childhood too.
yeah, who harper or whatever his name is from the "new alliance?" Anything that comes out of that party is..........anyway, it's pretty obvious it's going to pass IMO, there are going to be opponents for sure, the ndp is opposing somewhat saying they're not going far enough with "just" decriminalization. :uhoh: Fucking hippies. A panel of judges asked whether to put aside 3 cases that came before the (supreme?) court because it's about marijuana, saying they'd better wait a few months to see what the new laws are going to be, so judging by how serious it's being taken I would count on it happening.

import_3000
12-22-2002, 06:32 PM
its not really gonna be that big of a deal if its decriminalized, its just that you wont have it on your record, you still have to do the time, im moving to holland!

Harry
01-03-2003, 02:59 AM
The latest development......as of Jan/02/2003
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1041533361099_40///?hub=TopStories

I'll give a brief overview.

Over 2 years ago, a teenager in Ontario got charged with simple possession(30 grams or less), the basis of his arguement in court was that he required it for medicinal purposes. The court decided not to rule on the case. Instead it gave the federal government 1 year to ammend it's marijuana laws, and then come back. The federal government didn't. Instead they came out with some regulations. The lawyer today argued that those regulations didn't satisfy the court's request and as a result, the federal Controlled Drugs and Substances Act no longer prohibits marijuana possession. The court agreed.
What this means, and to quote that lawyer, "My interpretation of the law -- and (it's) been accepted by the judge -- is there's no law in Ontario prohibiting possession of marijuana," . This basically leaves the possession law in limbo, meaning you can still be charged, but cannot be convicted, as today's ruling sets a precedent.
Summary:
This guy got charged, he argued that there is no law in ontario prohibiting possession of marijuana, and won.