PDA

View Full Version : 1995 Accord LX VSS Wiring/Speedometer Issue

krp2nte
10-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Greetings Fellow Honda People,

After a very thorough search of these threads and the internet I am coming up empty.

My speedometer began to work intermittently a week ago. I replaced the VSS. This did not resolve the issue. After downloading the service manual--from here--I am still at odds.

The cruise control does work--regardless if the speedometer is functioning at the time or not.
The odometer only works when the speedometer is working.

So my question(s) is this:

Is the cable from the VSS to (not sure where it goes) shorting out and if so what are my options?

Is it the speedometer itself and if so what are my options there?

Not sure what else to include--its a 95 Accord LX, Automatic Transmission, Non-ABS and not the V-Tech. I have no other electrical issues and all fuses are intact.

Thank you to all in advance for your help and thanks for reading my thread.:)

TexasHonda
10-16-2009, 08:15 AM
As you've found, if cruise works the VSS is fine.

It could be faulty wiring, but this is much less likely than a faulty speedometer/odometer circuit on the instrument panel, or simply a faulty mechanical speedometer movement. From your description (odometer and speedometer quit at same time), a faulty circuit is most likely, however this does not rule out a wiring faulty, loose, or damaged connector.

There are two repair options for IP; replace w/ a used unit and record mileage change w/ a state mileage form (true in TX, but maybe not everywhere), or pull you IP and send to a repair shop. There are many on the www that advertise IP repairs. Search this site for some references perhaps.

I've heard some folks had luck at adjusting the odometer to match old OD mileage, before installing the IP. I think they used a pencil rubber eraser to push the number wheels.

good luck

krp2nte
12-02-2009, 10:33 AM
I hope you find this Texas Honda!

So I bought a used IP from eBay. I am certain that it is a match because it came from the same year and make as my car.

After installing the IP I turn the ignition on and the speedo immediately jumps to 30mph and stays there. I took it for a spin around the block and it functions but it reads 30 at a stop and 60mph is really only 30.

Also the tach is reading about 500rpm's too low.

And finally--the SRS light is staying on.

Is there something I missed when swapping IP's?

Do I need to reset the computer or something?

Thanks!

TexasHonda
12-02-2009, 08:31 PM
I would suspect a faulty IP. Some things to consider.

1) Check your alternator output voltage. Overvoltage might damage an IP.

2) Re-install old IP and see if problem is same as before. If yes, this would likely mean a bad IP from ebay.

3) Are you sure you plugged all three connectors into the IP. A missing connection would probably cause SRS unit to set the light On.

good luck

ragtopbmr
12-09-2009, 12:57 PM
hello u all
i have a 1994 lx accord and i seem to have the similar problem, my speedometer needle goes to
30 mph as soon ignition is turned on and goes to 0 when u turn it off but every so often it works
like nothing was wrong, also it flickers while u stop some place and stops when u are at crusing speeds
any ideas folks! thanks for helping.

bruosh3
12-09-2009, 01:06 PM
good luck man

bradcamry
05-17-2011, 02:55 AM
I use a small piece of fine emory cloth and slide it in and out of the female side of the terminal. Then I use a small pick to tighten it and make sure it is a firm fit.

TexasHonda
05-17-2011, 05:33 AM
Examine IP circuit board carefully under magnifying glass. Sometimes you can spot a bad solder joint. They tend to crack and break w/ age. Look for a dark circle around the component leg at solder joint. A quick hit w/ a soldering iron and fresh solder can fix a failed joint.

good luck