PDA

View Full Version : 95' Accord brakes locking up

Dwhite110
10-04-2009, 12:36 PM
1995 Honda Accord 4dr sedan 2.2l w/o abs. New booster, master cylinder, front brake hoses, and calipers.
Customer states brakes locks up intermittently. I road tested about 30 miles and tried to heat up brake but could not verify complaint.
Does anyone have a clue what it could be?

TexasHonda
10-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Most all master cylinder (MC) replacement instructions warn about adjusting gap between new MC contact and pushrod from brake vacuum booster. If gap is too small, the fluid can warm, expand, and cause brakes to bind. When I replaced MC on my 94 EX, I bought OEM MC to insure gap was identical. No problems.

There is a difficult adjustment requiring a special 12pt, 12mm closed end w/ a gap slotted in the tool to allow engagement.

See following link for detailed explanation and adjustment details:

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mastercylinderreplace/howworks.html

good luck

Dwhite110
10-05-2009, 03:22 AM
Thanks for all that info. I knew there was a Honda Guru out there that had the answer. I'll give that OEM MC a try this week and post my results.
Thanks again TexasHonda.

batever
10-12-2009, 09:10 AM
Whoa, that was deep...

...bowing to the master....

chanthran
10-12-2009, 10:09 AM
i'm currently use honda civic year 1997[SO4]. Anybody can tell me, is it i can use other brand of engine oil for my car other than honda brand. Is it cheap engine oil will give any problem to my engine.

please advice me regarding above matter.

thank you.

batever
10-12-2009, 12:18 PM
You can use any major brand 5w-30 or 10w-40 conventional (or synthetic) engine oil in your accord. Valvoline, Mobil, Quaker State, Pennzoil, you name it. I would stay away from the no-name and generic brands but only because of superstition, not because of any knowledge that they are inferior. There is a service designation on the oil container--I believe it is now "SG" --that indicates that it meets/passes a set of engineering tests. And I believe even the generics have the same designation. check in your manual and see which service designation of oil your car requires and just get an oil that meets or exceeds that. Which will be just about every engine oil on the market. Because basically all the engine oils meet the same (current )service specs.

I use 5w-30 in preference to 10w-40 but really it hardly makes a difference, I wouldn't sweat over the decision.