PDA

View Full Version : blown motor?

hearse23driver
09-20-2009, 02:03 PM
I just ran my accord wagon about 40 miles overheating what kind of damage do you think im looking at. the thermostat froze and i was in the middle of nowhere. im getting ready to pull the head and inspect the head gasket and see if the head or block has any cracks anything i should be looking for?

TexasHonda
09-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Check cylinder walls for scoring and evidence of siezing. If lubrication was ineffective there may be damage.

good luck

batever
09-21-2009, 09:16 PM
IMO, and I could be completely wrong, jumping ahead to tearing the head off is not necessary. I would fix the cooling problem and then run the car. If you have damage to the head or the head gasket or the cylinder walls it will become apparent and deal with it then. If you do pull the head now and discover damage to cylinder walls, you would have to rebore them to fix it and that would be a lot of work but you could do it. But if there is no damage then you still have to reassemble with a new $100 or so head gasket, which means $100 unnecessarily down the drain.

so my advice is to fix the cooling problem. Run the car. Then deal with any problems that crop up, if and when they crop up.

But perhaps I am incorrect in this as I should disclose I have never personally pulled the head on a car engine so I may be unaware of preventative things that could be done at this point that might stop future worse damage when the engine is run.

If you are going to pull the head then look for heat-caused discoloration of the metal, head warpage due to excessive heat or because of whatever, and everything TexasHonda said in his post.

Burnt valve seats and valve seals would be another one.