PDA

View Full Version : Radio/Cigarette lighter fuse?

Blatters2001
09-19-2009, 02:47 AM
My grandaughter decided to stuff coins into the cigarette lighter which must have blown a fuse. I checked the main fuses under the bonnet but they are OK.
It's a 1997 Accord - 2li and the problem has effected the central locking remote, radio and cigarette lighter. i have had a fish round google but there are so many solutions - I;m confused!
Can anybody offer some help? I'm handy with a meter etc

Thanks

TexasHonda
09-19-2009, 08:47 AM
Shorting the cigarette lighter outlet should blow the underhood fuse no. 36 (15A). If you're sure this fuse is good, it could be the cigarette lighter relay (behind front of console). There is fuse no. 11 (under-dash fuse box) that supplies power to relay drive coil (should not be affected by lighter short), but check anyway.

The fact your stereo is out suggests fuse or relay. It is also possible the wiring at the lighter was damaged. Check for 12v to lighter connector.

I would download the 94-97 online manual from this site to provide pics and guidance on this issue.

good luck

Blatters2001
09-29-2009, 05:00 PM
Shorting the cigarette lighter outlet should blow the underhood fuse no. 36 (15A). If you're sure this fuse is good, it could be the cigarette lighter relay (behind front of console). There is fuse no. 11 (under-dash fuse box) that supplies power to relay drive coil (should not be affected by lighter short), but check anyway.

The fact your stereo is out suggests fuse or relay. It is also possible the wiring at the lighter was damaged. Check for 12v to lighter connector.

I would download the 94-97 online manual from this site to provide pics and guidance on this issue.

good luck

Texas thanks for the advice on getting the manual which I have downloaded. I t would appear that I need to look into the under dash fusebox as you say but the manual has cautions about setting off air bags etc! Linking oiut SRS circuits. As yet I haven't investigated the box - is it under the steering wheel -? the manual is not that clear to me anyway. I'm in the UK so I presume everything is vica versa? What's the risk to the SRS system ? If any?

TexasHonda
09-29-2009, 08:35 PM
If you only remove the fuse from the under-dash panel (driver's side whether RH or LH drive?), you shouldn't have any problems.

relay is more likely than the fuse.

good luck