PDA

View Full Version : 91 Accord shift cable

ChrisCraft
08-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Hi All...
Yesterday, seemingly all at once, the shift lever (automatic) started working very hard. I found where the cable hooks to the tranny and oiled it up. The little ball in the end of the cable and the shifter tang it self. That may have helped only minimally. I suspect the cable is seizing up. I am wondering if I should try to lubricate or replace it. The car has 196,000 miles on it and I'm sure it deserves a new cable by this point. The tranny shifts fine and shows no other symptoms other than the lever moving hard.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
mark

46&2
08-24-2009, 08:58 PM
I've had the same issue in my '92. The only way to properly lubricate it is to disconnect it from the transmission and the shift lever. This allows you to move the cable to it's full travel in order to apply the lube in a way that it works itself up into the cable assembly. Moly grease should be sufficient.

Scorpio0729
08-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Replace it before it snaps and lets you guys down..always fix things correctly or be sorry you didn't later...

Scorpio0729

ChrisCraft
09-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Thanks people. I havent fixed it yet but I am not driving the car either.
Is this a dealer only part?

ChrisCraft
09-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Any advice on how to replace the cable? How is it removed from the tranny?

jdm_sleeper
09-15-2009, 06:29 PM
if it is an automatic than there is a cotter pin that holds it inplae.
there is a housing plate that you take off. there are three number 12 bolts holding it in place and a number 10 connect to the sheild by the torque converter.

take these out and remove the cotter pin. don't lose the connecting pin mabobby.

i haven't removed the cable from the shifter yet, but i will be adjusting mine tonight.

good luck!