PDA

View Full Version : 1999 Accord Wheel bearing replacement?

BanditBill
07-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Hi All,

I have a wobble sound(vibration) coming from my Accord---front end. Mainly hear it when I make turns. Sound like a wheel bearing to you? It also looks like the camber is off on the passenger side front. tread wearing on the inside half.

1999 Accord EX, L4, Auto, 150K mikes.

Do you think I'm correct in my guess and how do i replace a wheel bearing if it is bad. I'll do both if I have to replace one of them.

TexasHonda
07-11-2009, 07:52 AM
Bearing noise is usually a growling sound that gets worse w/ time. It is un-nerving sound that demands attention. In early stages you can detect by elevating the wheel and turning wheel by hand while feeling the axle shaft end. Any roughness will be felt through the axle.

I have replaced rotors on earlier models which requires removal of trapped hub w/ wheel bearing, but think the 98 is different. You will likely have to remove the hub and have bearing installed by a machine shop (press out old and press in new). I would get a manual (see downloads?). It is not difficult, but will require a ball joint separator, and good 1/2" breaker bar and cheater pipe to break the axle nut (or good air impact driver).

good luck

Nusdogg
07-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Removing the front rotors on older accords are a PITA. I'd recommend just going ROH conversion and you can buy the kit from TASAuto for a good deal.

And yes, if the wheel bearing goes bad then it'll growl even more at high speed and if it doesn't get replace after a long time, it can separate on you. What you describe is more of a axle going bad.