PDA

View Full Version : VTEC engagement led

Uzi
01-31-2008, 07:45 AM
anyone have a write-up to hook up a LED to vtec switch?

I want to connect a led to the vtec switch. so i get a nice bright light when it kicks in.

Enigma
01-31-2008, 08:18 AM
:nodno:

Uzi
01-31-2008, 08:40 AM
lol u funny guy. ... no the problem is .. i dont think it kicks in .. i dont hear a sound differnce im not to worried

Enigma
01-31-2008, 08:43 AM
what motor do you have??

put an intake on it and you will hear it clear as day

rick1574
01-31-2008, 09:29 AM
you don't hear it because vtec doesn't really do much in a stock sohc. i was running open header and i could hear the vtec, but felt virtually no power difference.

vtec isn't impressive unless on a dohc or a built sohc, don't expect too much from it.

95civicex
01-31-2008, 11:22 AM
A quick search came up with this.

http://www.hondahookup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146072&highlight=vtec+light

Uzi
01-31-2008, 12:11 PM
its a d16z6 i git an intake n a muffler tip on ....when i do step on it the front does make a deeper growl that could be it

Shane Ruthnum
01-31-2008, 01:12 PM
Hey there!
Im an electronics guy, and what you want to do is quite easy!

If you have an LED that can run of the car battery then the hardest part is done!
If not, then you will need a 220 ohm 0.25W resistor to wire up in series with the LED.
Remember that the LED has a positive and negative side, so keep positive on the long lead of the LED, and put the resistor here as well.

First thing you need to do is find the positive(+) wire that activates the V-Tec solenoid valve!
Once you are sure you have it, run a wire (thin speaker wire will do) from the positive solenoid wire to the resistor which should be connected to the long lead of the LED.
Mount the LED wherever you want, just be carfull to avoid moving parts and hot surfaces in the whole install!!!!
The short lead of the LED goes to ground.

V-TEC Solenoid(positive +) --------------> 220ohm resistor -------> +LED- --------> Ground

That it!
Take it for a spin!

swimm397
01-31-2008, 01:45 PM
or you could skip the whole running a line to the battery and simply tap into your fuse box which is alot easier. just pick a spot that you like, pull the fuse, slip the wire in, then put the fuse back in, and ta da! you have power!

now you can either hook it up to a fuse that has power all the time, which is what i did when i ran my inside neons, i just found an empty pay that had power all the time, stock the wire in there and grabed an extra fuse and plugged it in. or you could just find a pay that has power only when the ignition is on, which would make the most since for this set up, then just follow the instrunctions that the one web link gives you.

civcmatt
01-31-2008, 04:51 PM
you don't hear it because vtec doesn't really do much in a stock sohc. i was running open header and i could hear the vtec, but felt virtually no power difference.

vtec isn't impressive unless on a dohc or a built sohc, don't expect too much from it.

a built sohc isnt very loud either. u can hear it. but when your used to a DOHC Vtec popping you have to listen for it. and know when it kicks in. and when your fully built with cams the motor is SCREAMING so god damn loud at 6000 RPM so yeah hard to hear anything....and u dont really feel anything.

Shane Ruthnum
01-31-2008, 10:46 PM
or you could skip the whole running a line to the battery and simply tap into your fuse box which is alot easier. just pick a spot that you like, pull the fuse, slip the wire in, then put the fuse back in, and ta da! you have power!

now you can either hook it up to a fuse that has power all the time, which is what i did when i ran my inside neons, i just found an empty pay that had power all the time, stock the wire in there and grabed an extra fuse and plugged it in. or you could just find a pay that has power only when the ignition is on, which would make the most since for this set up, then just follow the instrunctions that the one web link gives you.

If I unerstand correctly, we want the LED to light up only on V-TEC.
So its just an indicator to say the engine is in V-TEC, right?

Then we have to take the signal from the solenoid wire, either at the solenoid itself or at the controller or manual switch if you have that.

We dont run it from the battery because the solenoid is positively switch, not negative.
Else the LED will just be on as soon as you start the car and not in V-TEC mode only.

The only reason I mentioned the battery was to check if the LED you have is a 12V one, or a more common 3V one.
You cannot use the 3V LED without the resistor, it will blow!

If its done this way, the fuse that protects the V-TEC solenoid will offer protection to the LED you put in the circuit as well, which is also required by law.

swimm397
02-01-2008, 04:14 AM
well isnt it true that you have to have a power source, a positive and a ground? unless tappin into the solinoid wire would act as the power also?

Shane Ruthnum
02-02-2008, 06:08 AM
well isnt it true that you have to have a power source, a positive and a ground? unless tappin into the solinoid wire would act as the power also?

When I read the question I wasnt sure if he wants to install a switch with the LED, or if he just wants to install a LED to see when the VTEC engages.
If he has or wants to install a manual switch then I didnt see the need to have a LED to indicate VTEC as you would know since you are operating the switch manually.

This lead me to assume that he was asking about installing just a LED.

If hes installing a switch then I agree with you about needing a power source and tapping into the fuse box and so on.

However, installing a manual switch or just using the standard contoller...
to install a LED is the same as I suggested.

We want the LED to light when VTEC is engaged, and turn off when VTEC disengages.
So the best place to take this signal is from the VTEC controll line itself, be it at the VTEC solenoid, controller, or the VTEC manual switch if installed.
I say this because when power is sent to the VTEC solenoid( LED will light ), VTEC engages.
When power is removed from the VTEC solenoid( LED goes off ), VTEC is disengaged.

I hope this makes better sense?!

MiMiK
02-02-2008, 07:57 AM
on a sohc, vtec doesn't make a noticeable difference when it's activated. BUT it's noticeable when it doesn't activate. the car will fall on its face at 5500 rpm and struggle to get to redline.