PDA

View Full Version : Advice: Acura TL Timing Belt Shredding and Broken Tensioner Bolt

trendwolf
05-30-2007, 01:21 PM
Help please. I just bought a 99 Acura 3.2 TL with 113K. Didn't appear the timing belt had been changed so dealer agreed to replace at their cost.

2 weeks later I am driving on the highway at 70mph and the TCS and Engine lights come on and car falls to 40mph. Limped to a Honda dealer just off the highway. They hooked it to a computer and diagnosed a broken bolt on a tensioner connected with the timing belt. Said the bolt hadn't been tightened properly, and there were shreddings inside the case and belt & bolt needed replaced.

Had to tow car back to original dealer for repair they agreed to do upon hearing news. BUT now that they looked at it they said 1) timing belt is not shredded or affected at all. 2) claim they got nowhere near the tensioner in replacing the new timing belt, so the broken tensioner bolt is not their fault because it's a self-tightening system and they never loosened or tightened the bolt.

Question: Whose story sounds most plausible: 1) Honda dealer with loose bolt and shredded timing belt claim that goes back to my car dealer; or 2) original dealer's claim that they are not to blame for loose/broken bolt because they never touched or affected the tensioner and bolt.

Is it possible to replace a timing belt and absolve onself of affecting any tensioners? Is a 99 acura tensioner hand tightened or self tightened. Is it possible for the timing belt to be shredded on the edge(s) but appear to look okay to the average eye? Should I insist on a new belt or am I okay?

Thank you.

jdmaccord
05-30-2007, 05:44 PM
i think you bought a car that is almost 10 years old with over 100k, and that kind of shit just happens sometimes.Dealer probably wont fix that foryou, and there is no way to prove they touched/ didnt touch that bolt.

bildo16
05-30-2007, 08:06 PM
no matter what happens cost wise, get a new timing belt, its not worth losing valves and possiby more damage just cause you were not sure.

93B18Hatch
06-01-2007, 02:29 PM
as far as i know you have to loosen the belt to get it off in doing so the tensioner is adjusted hense the name tensioner! MY DAD WORKS FOR A HONDA DEALER AND ANYONE WHO WALKS IN THERE WITH A PROBLEM AND DEMANDS A REPAIR GETS IT...

oxides
08-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Didn't touch the tensioner in a t-belt replacement?
If this is indeed the case then that is a ten-foot deep load of crap. That's not even a good load of crap.

Look at the belt yourself. it's easy enough to tell if something is wrong with it.

The simple fact of the matter is someone effed this up and they're lucky they're not getting you a new head for free.

beatiger1
08-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Didn't touch the tensioner in a t-belt replacement?
If this is indeed the case then that is a ten-foot deep load of crap. That's not even a good load of crap.

Look at the belt yourself. it's easy enough to tell if something is wrong with it.

The simple fact of the matter is someone effed this up and they're lucky they're not getting you a new head for free.

I agree how the f*** can you change a timing belt without touching the tensioner. It would be very hard to get the belt off if you didn't touch it. Bring it back to the place where you bought it from and DEMAND them to change the timing belt free of charge. If the timing belt has any kind of wear on it, it should be replaced. Its better to replace a $30 part than replacing $1000+ valves or a new head.