PDA

View Full Version : 90 Honda Civic D15B2 swap

wasdef
08-15-2006, 09:30 PM
I have a 90 Honda Civic, that I'm swapping out a D15B-2 and putting in D15B-B. Nothing spectacular, just for the fact that mine has more miles than this one does. Anyways, what I got from a foreign engine place was:
1. The engine (of course)
2. Oil Filter
3. Thermostat
4. Timing Belt
5. Block off plate
6. All the gaskets and sealers.

I dont know what else I need. I was told a new water pump, and that'd be it. But I'm thinking there may be more to it. I'm doing kind of a half ass job of getting the engine stuff together and then going to swap things out. I was planning on having my brother do it since he is a mechanic, but he's an ass and doesn't like to return phone calls. I'm also relocating so that has postponed doing anything with the engine. I want to have it all set so then I can take it to a friend where I'm relocating to and have him do it. Enough of my freakin story, what I want to know is : What else do I need, what can I use on my lil Honders, and what can't I use.

Any advice would be superb.

:nod:

I'm not too knowledgable on the whole Engine Swap thing. I'm a chick who loves her car and is slowly learning about that department. Give me kudos for working on my clutch and changing my own oil? Haha.

Kinetics
08-15-2006, 09:43 PM
Good ideas for any swap:

Fuel filter
Oil and Oil Filter
Clutch
Spark Plugs
Timing Belt
Idler Pulley
Thermostat

Check all of the belts and such on the new engine.
Replace cracked, worn, glazed, etc., belts.

Did you get the alternator with the new engine? If you did, it's worth taking it off and getting it load tested. Most auto parts places will do it for free, some for a small charge.

It's worth doing any modifications you plan and can afford while the engine is out. Clutch, etc., are much easier.

Pat on the back for doing your own clutch. Not an easy task for a beginner.

wasdef
08-15-2006, 10:45 PM
Surprisingly enough, no belts came on the new engine. :( Can I just use the ones I have on my old one or will that be taboo? Can I use the same clutch? I'm hoping so. I figured since it wasn't a different model of an engine that it should just [I]slide[I] right in there. well, with labor and all. But I didn't think I would have to replace the clutch. It's a brand new one, just put it in a little less than a year ago. As for the alternator, it's also brand new, so I'm wondering if I can just use that one instead of the one on the new engine. The only thing that seems to be the problem is figuring out what I can use on the old engine, with the new. Also wondering........I was told this new engine isn't fuel injected like my old engine. What do I need to do for that?

Oh and this may be a silly question, but I have to ask. Do I have to get a new ECU, or would it come with the engine, or can I use my old ECU? I fear the answer to this.........

Kinetics
08-16-2006, 07:16 AM
I'll answer what I can...

Your clutch and alternator should be able to swap without issues, as should most any other components from the old engine.

As for the ECU, these are generally built for certain blocks.
Usually your new engine should come with one. I'd say the old one would still work, accept I don't think it will, considering the old engine is MPFI and the new is DPFI.
That said, a new ECU for this engine can't be too terribly priced.
The one for my JDM swap was $225, I suspect yours would be considerably cheaper.

I've never seen anything on how to convert from DPFI to MPFI.
I have a feeling you're not going to have a fun time with that.