PDA

View Full Version : Swap 98 LEV 2.3 to 2001 ULEV on EX Accord

Exprog
08-01-2006, 11:00 AM
I have 2dr. 1998 Accord EX a 2.3 4cyl with 240k miles. My engine died recently and I bought a new one for it. It is a 2001 engine with less than 7k miles on it. The problem is that now that the engine is installed it does not run properly. It turns on fine and runs like a kitten untill you give it gas. When the gas pedal is pressed, the RPMs go up and down almost to the point of turning off. If left alone it will stay running all day with no problems. My questions are:

1. Are LEV and ULEV interchangeable with a manual transmissinon? I'm preaty sure I read some where that ULEV engines were only mated with automatic trasmissions.
2. Will I have to swap out the computer or worst...have to buy an automatic transmission?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in advance.

melo
08-05-2006, 07:33 PM
ok I INSTALLT A engine from a honda accord 2000 in to a 1999
i ust a automatc engine and installt it in a manuel car it's my friend's car.

so after installatin i had too get the ECM from the car
so if you did take the engine from an automatic transsmision
it schold work but you do need the ECM upgrade becauses all engines from honda have diffrent RPM my 1998 Honda accord its a automatic and at 7900RPM THE CAR RUNS GRATE
soo all engines are made diffrent the 2.3L engines from honda in 1998 the ECM was made not with speed limmiter but with rpm limiter..in 2000 honda startet adding speed limiters in cars if you have a 2.2L or a 2.0L engine you do need ecm upgrate if the engine came from a automatic trans it's ok haveing it in a standart car only the ecm needs too by upgratet too hire or lower rpm.. remember all engines rpm are made diffrent..if you did take the engine from an automatic trans it's gut soo automatic engines work Quicker at higher rpm and faster a humman may schift at 7000rmp but a commputer schifts 2 times faster then hummans i opend a ecm and did reserch and all ecm's are made soo diffrent in all hondas let's say my engine cam stock at 7500 rmp in N or P.. and it will schift at 6700rpm.all japanies engines are soo complicetet too operate becauses honda accord's in 1998 startet bulding HIGH TECH ENGINES WITCH HIGH RPM BUT LESS HORSE POWER ALLMOST ALL HONA ACCORD ENGINES ARE RACE ENGINES.

soo you do needd a upgreate at the ECM..

melo
08-05-2006, 07:41 PM
THISS MAY HELP..LEV and ULEV
ok LEV it;s in an automatic and a manuel trans ULEV are buldet in automatic trans and sam in the manuel trans. soo it's no much diffrent

i have a stock automatic trans and a 2.3L VTEC engine and its a LEV
the engine was made in japan in 1998 not 50/50
it's 100 % japan at 7500 RPM stock

a ulev will come at 6300 rpm in automatic in IM P=OR-IN-NUTRAL
soo if you have a ulev engine in a manuel trans you need upgreat at the ecm adjSut from 6300 rpm too 6700rpm OR HIGHER AT 7000RPMOR AT MAX 8000RPM OR JUST GET A ECM FROM A JURD THETS MANUEL AND ULEV ENGINE UNDER THE HOOD...

melo
08-05-2006, 07:59 PM
I SPEACK 7 leguges SOO ENGLISH IT'S NEW I MAY HAVE SAM WORDS WRONG SOORY.IAM TRYNG TOO HELP..
SOO YOU WILL KNOW THE DIFFRENCE IAM A MACHANIC IN VT BURLINGTON AND IAM WORKING MOST WITH RACE ENGINES AND ACURA ENGINES..AND HONDAS..
and iam stading school in mechanic

Exprog
08-05-2006, 08:34 PM
My cousin was looking for information about my problem on the internet and found your name then sent it to me...thank God he did.
I can't thank you enough! I've had my car at over 3 different mechanics and everyone has a different theory of why the car is not working right. One person says the cam sensor, , and another says it's the ignition, and another says the computer.
What you say makes perfect scense. I finally took it to the Honda dealer so they can diagnose it and tell me the problem. I will pick it up before they start work on it and follow your suggestions.
I hope you are being compensated for your great knowlege if not, you need to.
Many thanks...have a happy prosperous life!

melo
08-05-2006, 09:08 PM
mechanics will tell you soo many things and try too get ass much monye ass thaer can
it's hard finding a machanic thaet will tell you the truhe i had transsmission problems and i whent too 7 diffrent machanics iknow what the problem was and ther told my your transsmison needs too by replacet my car hes only 80,410Milles
i only head 1 problem i addet too much transsmision fluid and needet too drain like 2Q
soo only 1 Vitnam machanic told my you only have too much fluid in the trannsmission soo i know the problem but i whonet too see witch mechanik its going too tell my the Truh.
when i whent too automaster honda ther told my your transmission its fine but i know i addet 8Q of fluid soo the car was pulling and leaid schift ...soo after i got home i unhukt the pipe and draind too the lavel ...all machaniks will tell you diffrent like i whent too do inspection and the guy told my you need brake line and brakes but lisen i told him toss brecks are 3 months old ..he told my no no you need them and it cost's 184.82$
i told him gut bye and i whent too the vitnamise mechanik hi pest my and checkt my car and told my thet i don't need any breks or brek line..

melo
08-05-2006, 09:24 PM
i talkt too my frien and he told my
you'r transsmision it's ok
on a ULEV engine

only try getting a ECM or UPGREAT YOUR ECM
EASY-it's just goo too the junk jard and lock 4 a car theats a honda accord ULEV engine and it's manuel trans take the ecm out and just plug it in too your car and take the old ecm and sell it. or keep it the ecm it's on the right side under the passanger side on the left side under the carpet in the corner hiding i speendet 3 hours locking 4my ecm soo if you can not find your ecm goo too a machanic and he will by free too schow you wher it it's hiding.normaly all hondas 1998 too 2001 all onthe right side at the passanger side over the head its a ecm callt SRS under ther it its hiding behind plasstic its the brain callt ECM.

melo
08-05-2006, 09:32 PM
ok try reseting your ECM BY PRESSING THE BUTTON CALLT RESET
hold the reset button you allways locking in too it its the reset button thet schifts the TRYPE> A AND B
1 hold the reset button
2 turn the key 1,2,3 but hold the button you will see the check engine light will turn on DO NOT LET THE BUTTON GO WAIT 5 SEC OR LONGER UNTILL YOU SEE THE CHECK ENGINE IT'S OFF THIS MAY HELP SOO YOU DON'T HAVE TOO BYE A ECM check engine light turns off all sensors are resetet and the srs ecm resets 2 automatickly your ecm will may reset the rpm normaly it resets all 78 sensors in 5 secunds after installing a new engine it may takes 10sec depending on the ecm's speedd

1this will reset all SENSORS IN YOU'R CAR
2 it will adjust the RPM LIMITER
3 RESETS THE SRS
4 RESETS SCHIFT POINTS
5 RESETS FAN'S SENSORS
6 RESETS PUMP OPERATION
7 SCHUP's OFF IF THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT REMAINS ON GO

melo
08-05-2006, 09:44 PM
GO TO STEP 1 and repeat it.
THIS MAY HELP FROM 100% 70% MAYBE 100%
TRY IT OUT AND SEE WCHAT HEPEND'S..........
NORMALY YOU SCHOLD DO THIS AFTER INSTALLING A NEW ENGINE OR ADDING TURBOS TOO CARS.. AND SUPERCHARGERS.OR A BREND NEW ENGINE OR JUST REPLACING A ENGINE

Exprog
08-06-2006, 01:41 PM
I will have to wait untill Monday (tomorrow) to try your suggestions. First I will try to reset the ECU. If it does not work I will buy a 2001 Accord computer from manual trasmission ULEV engine.
Again, I can't thank you enough for all your help. I will keep you posted on the results. Hopefully this will help anyone else with the same problem!

melo
08-06-2006, 07:20 PM
YESS I HAD A PROBLEM IN MY FRIENDS CAR ON HIS HONDA CIVIC
BUT I WHENT TOO A PROFFESIONAL DEALER AT AUTOMASTER HONDA AND HI TOLD MY ABOUT THE RESETING THE ECM BY HOLDING ON THE RESET BUTTON AND TURNING THE KEY 1 2 3 AND START THE ENGINE

REMEMBER > EX AND LX MODELS DON'T HAVE SPEED LIMITERS THER ONLY HAVE RPM LIMITER
DX MODELS HAVE RPM LIMITER AND SPEED LIMITER ..
SOO YOU HAVE TOO TRY IT OUT RESETING THE ECM.
IF IT DIDNT DO ANYTHING THEN YOU HAVE TOO GET A ECM UPGREAD OR JUST BYE A ECM THER IT'S A WEBSIDE YOU CAN BYE ECM'S AS 120 DOLLARS AND PLUG IT IN YOUR COMPUTER AND DOO THE ADJUSTMENT BAT I FORGAT THE WEBSIDS NAME HMM.
I HAVE TOO ASK AT THE HONDA DEALER WCHAT THE WEBSIDE ITS..

melo
08-06-2006, 07:30 PM
MY DEAD HEAD A PROBLEM 2 AND THE RESETING ENGINE WORKT
IF THE CHEK ENGINE LIGHT POPS UP AFTER STARTING THE ENGINE
IN 13 hOURS THEN IT WILL READE WCHAT SENSOR ITS DEMAGET
OR NEEDS REPLACMENT
IF THE CHEK ENGINE REMAINS OFF IN 25 HOURS
IT MINS ALL SENSORS ARE READET AS OK
AND TRANSMISSION IT'S READET OK 1/7 READET OK

SOO IF EVRYTHING IT'S OK
AND YOU STILL HAVE THE PROBLEMM ..
THEN YOU HAVE TOO GET A ECM. MY FRIEND TOLD MY HI HEAD IN HIS BMW PROBLEMS TOO AFTER REPLACING THE ENGINE RPM LOWER DOWN AND CAR SCHEKS HI BUT 2 OCTANE BOOSTER AND ADDET IT TOO THE ENGINE AND HI BUT FUIL INJECTO CLEENER AND ADDET IT INTOO THE ENGINE SOO 2 OCTANE BOOSTER AND 3 FUILINJECTOR CLEENERS..MAY FIX THE PROBLEM 2 ...BUT BMW IT'S DIFFRENT FROM HONDA.TRY THIS ALL OUT IF NOTHING HELPS GET A ECM<>

Exprog
08-08-2006, 11:59 AM
Hey Melo...sorry for not updating yesterday. The local Honda dealer serviced my car and told me that the problem (RPMs going up and down when accelerated) was that TP sensor and map sensor were backwards. When they switched them the car was driveable. However, they said the car was idling rough (shaking a little bit) and would I let them perform a diagnosic check on it. I said yes.
When they (dealer) called me back, they said that my car was not compatible with ULEV because the original car was LEV. And that the engine wiring harness was different, the ULEV needs sensors that LEV cars do not have.
I have spoken to the junk yard people who sold me the engine and they agreed to take the engine back and give me an LEV engine with 22k miles. Now I just have to get a mechanic to perform the job :-) (my old mechanic doesn't want to do it)
By the way I tried to reset the computer as you instructed but was not successful (unless I was doing it wrong:
I pressed the reset button on the dash
turned the ignition key 3 times
waited over 15 seconds
turned on the car (I didn't see the check engine light turn on or off)
This has been a learning experience for me and once again I'd like to thank you for your time, effort and advice on this problem of mine.

Tony

Exprog
08-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Also, I am driving the car until the I find a mechanic to do the work and it is driving almost perfect! Drives very fast...except the exhaust fumes smells funny and it shakes a little when idling.
The mechanic (not dealer) hooked up a diagnostic tool to the car and it reported problems saying the car was missfiring on cylinders 1,2,3, and 4 and some other erros.
So rather than continuing to take the car to all of these mechanics and dealer, I'd rather get the engine that belongs to this car and be done with it.

melo
08-09-2006, 03:12 PM
tchets the best way too goo LEV are gut engienes
just change the timing belt on them evry 100,000 milles and the car will less
F-EVER
MY FRIEND HES A ACCORD EX LEV AND HI HEAS 370,000 MILLES ON THEM HIS JUSING
5w30 OIL Synthetic THETS LEST F 15,000 mILLES TCHETS THE BEST OIL TOO GO WITH

PERFECT LEV F2.3HAA130-BHP150 TOP SPEED 145MPH,AT 6500RPM INFO,3990LBS
CAP 850
I HOPE YOU FIND SAMONE TOO PUT THE ENGINE IN YOU'R CAR..

melo
08-09-2006, 03:15 PM
TAKE THE KEY OUT AND HOLD THE RESET BUTTON AND PUT THE KEY IN AND TURN IT 1,2,3 AND KEEP THE ENGINE RUNNING BUT HOLD THE BUTTON ,,JUST TOO REMEMBER
GUT LUCK WITCH THE NEW ENGINE ....IF YOU NEED ANY HELP LET MY KNOW ..:)