PDA

View Full Version : F22 Comparison.. What's the difference?

GreenHonda
02-21-2006, 10:24 AM
What exactly is the difference between the F22A1 and the F22A4? Other than 5hp, What did they do differently on the A4 to give it that little extra? Was it just because of the transmission? If I'm not mistaken, the A1 is a manual, and the A4(my engine) is an auto.
:scratchch

deevergote
02-21-2006, 02:42 PM
The transmission is only power transfer... you'll never gain or lose power based on transmission gearing. ALL of the F22A engines (USDM anyway) come with manual or automatic transmissions.

I'm no expert on the F22A4, since it's the worst F22A engine made, IMO. The differences in power most likely lie in the intake and exhaust manifolds (same with the F22A6). I believe the head is also somewhat different (the F22A4 has been rumored to have some major exhaust valve issues on #3...)

GreenHonda
02-21-2006, 03:03 PM
Ive never had a prob with mine. It's always been a smooth running engine. thats why I decided to do a build up on it.

what makes it the worst engine? I have dumped a shitload of money into rebuilding this engine. is it just the internals, or is it block issues, head, or otherwise?

deserthonda
02-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Accord DX/LX: 2.2L(2156cc), F22A1, MPFI, SOHC 16-valve (single exhaust manifold)

Accord EX: 2.2L(2156cc), F22A4, MPFI, SOHC 16-valve (dual exhaust manifold)

deevergote
02-22-2006, 09:43 AM
I've been told there's a flaw in the head... I never got details, but I have a friend that managed to fry the 3rd cylinder exhaust valves on two seperate heads. His car was automatic, completely stock (he never had money to modify it, he was always fixing it!) and he never pushed it hard. The fact that the same issue occurred on two seperate A4 heads led him to believe it was a design flaw. It's not "proof" but it's stronger evidence against that motor than the other 2.

Fortunately, everything you do to the A4 can be swapped to an A1 or A6 head if problems occur :-D There are plenty of people with F22A4 engines that are running just fine though, so don't take that to mean that it's a bad engine... just the worst in a group of really good engines in my opinion.

GreenHonda
02-22-2006, 10:20 AM
well I'm getting all new hardware in the head, so hopefully I won't have any problems.

Maybe the header makes the extra power in the A4. They come with a cheesy looking factory header. The A1 doesn't.

What is the difference, then, between the A4 and the A6?

deevergote
02-23-2006, 09:42 AM
I'm not positive, but I believe that the A6 has a dual runner intake manifold, whereas the A4 has single (like the A1). I could be wrong there though. Everyone I know who wants to soup up their F22A1 always goes for the A6 intake mani and header.

If you get an F22A6 intake manifold, put an H23 plenum (the upper tank) and throttle body on it :-D

What are you doing to your head, anyway?

GreenHonda
02-23-2006, 10:26 AM
I sent it to KMS (www.honda-performance.com) to have it ported and polished, new valves, springs, guides, cam, etc. They are doing most of the machine work to my engine, as the shops around here don't believe in Honda. they only like chevyforddodge.:)

As for the frankenstien intake, I never thought of that.... I'll never find either of those around here anyway.

deevergote
02-23-2006, 05:06 PM
Ebay man... or cb7tuner.com. They're not too hard to find, and they really aren't that expensive! Get the H23 plenum and H23 throttle body... send the TB out to Maxbore ($100 to be sized to your liking). You'll see some power gains AND throttle response. If it all costs you $400, I'd be amazed :-D If you have some extra scratch, you can look into getting the Extrude Hone process done to your intake manifold. Not cheap, but great stuff...

Edit: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=41193
There ya go :-D Not a bad price, though I've seen em go for less.

GreenHonda
02-23-2006, 05:31 PM
You rock. Shoulda thought about cb7tuner.com. I have way too much shit going on...:grumble:

ACC0RD22
02-24-2006, 12:47 AM
I need one of those too, too bad theres not too many floating around right now. boooo