PDA

View Full Version : Replacing my Civic Oil pan

tjhanes
01-09-2006, 02:36 PM
I have a 93 honda civic. I am following my Haynes manual to replace my oil pan. The manual basically says to unscrew all of the bolts around the pan, and take it off. However, there are two bolts closest to the transmission/flywheel that I can't reach with any type of tool. The haynes manual doesnt address this at all.

Anyone familiar with what i am referring too? Does the engine need to be lifted? is there somethting else that can be removed to allow me to get to them?

Thanx for any help/suggestions. I'm kind of new to this, and am not in the mood to fork up $350 to have the mechanic do it.

Thanx!!!

Batman™
01-09-2006, 02:53 PM
have you taken off the dust shield that meets up to the tranny?

MiMiK
01-09-2006, 03:01 PM
the dust shield must be taken off.. get some extensions under ther if needed. i forgot how many bolts it was but it's quite a few...

tjhanes
01-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Depends on what the "dust shield" is...lol. I removed what appeared to be a curved metal bracket that is about 3-4 inches long. That helped me to gain access to a couple more of those screws from the oil pan (on the side of the pan by the tranny), but it did not gain me access to either of the screws closes to the transmission...one on either side big hole going into the oil pan. The bracket i removed runs almost horizontally, from left to right. The piece of metal that appears to be blocking those last two screws appears to be a panel that runs vertically, from front to back, and is about 6-8 inches in length & height. Thanx for the quick reply!

Batman™
01-09-2006, 03:17 PM
by dust shield i mean a thin piece of metal. if it's still on, you won't be able to see inside the bellhousing.

MiMiK
01-09-2006, 10:38 PM
once the dustcover comes off... you'll be able to see the flywheel. if it's not off... get it off and you'll find those missing screws.