PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial: How To Properly Reset Your Ecu

Batman™
12-21-2005, 02:30 PM
step 1: take your car for a brisk drive to get the motor to operating temperature.

step 2: take your car home, and take the fuse for the ecu out. it'll more times than not be labeled, but on civics and integras it's under the hood for sure. wait 15 minutes.

step 3: put the fuse back in.

step 4: turn the car on. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING. GIVE IT NO GAS. let the car idle for roughly 15 minutes, or until the car is idling smooth at lower rpm's.

step 5: turn the ignition off. ONCE AGAIN, DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE KEY. immediately turn the ignition back on after you have gone to full off. this will store the new settings your ecu has made.

These steps will properly reset your ecu. After they are accomplished go do whatever, the new settings have been stored.

crave77
12-21-2005, 04:27 PM
where would the fuse for the ecu be? passenger side in the little black box on the strut tower? its a 1990 civic si

MiMiK
12-21-2005, 06:42 PM
in the fuse box under the hood.

bluuuuurr
12-22-2005, 10:37 PM
i think it's labeled ECU Backup..

DeathIsCertain
12-30-2005, 11:34 PM
what does reseting your ecu do?

Batman™
12-31-2005, 02:02 AM
what does reseting your ecu do?

resetting allows your ecu to recalibrate all of its settings, thus allowing your engine to run at its maximum efficiency.

DeathIsCertain
12-31-2005, 02:09 AM
oh cool... thanks

DeathIsCertain
01-01-2006, 01:03 PM
my parents got a jetta, the check engine light is always on but who knows wtf is wrong with it... if u bang the dashboard, the check light will go off sometimes... i dont know man its fuckin weird :-? and i kno resetin the ECU will be stupid cuz if somethings wrong then its not gonna fix the problem like that, but once they get it fixed, will resetin the ecu make it run better?

Batman™
01-01-2006, 01:09 PM
indeed.

DeathIsCertain
01-02-2006, 02:21 PM
"disconnect the battery for a 1/2 hour to reset the computer. That should make everything nice and smooth."

^i was reading that on www.Gs-r.com, is that another way to reset ur ecu?

Batman™
01-02-2006, 02:23 PM
follow my instructions. they are the proper way.

DeathIsCertain
01-02-2006, 02:35 PM
alright cool, thanks for the help man, god dam i cant wait to get my car!

DeathIsCertain
01-02-2006, 05:07 PM
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129796

these guys also said that disconnecting the negative battery cable for 30 SECONDS will reset ur ECU... is that true, if u read the posts ull see more stuff that other people say... sounds easier, they swear its the proper way because they do it at honda dealerships or something like that... are they right or will it fuck the car up?

and do u have to disconnect the battery in ur method batman?

Batman™
01-02-2006, 05:54 PM
you can disconnect the negative terminal, but it's easier to use the steps i listed. that is the PROPER way. believe me my dad just had his shit done at honda, and lost a ton of power. after i reset it my way, he had it back proper. just trust my steps. i've done it too many times to count.

DeathIsCertain
01-02-2006, 06:02 PM
alright thanks again man but god dam even other websites who teach u how to reset it make u wanna do it the battery way...

http://www.c-speedracing.com/faq/02.php

but yea u didnt answer my other question, when ur resetting the ecu the way u posted here... do u have to disconnect the battery first or just do it without disconnecting shit but the ecu fuse? and what about the backup fuse, i keep readin people mention that thing, what is it and should it be disconnected or reset?

Batman™
01-02-2006, 06:10 PM
just do the fuse. it serves the same purpose. by doing it this way, you don't reset all your other stuff such as radio in the car. the ecu is the only thing affected. and there is only one fuse for the ecu fuse. under the hood and labeled.

slammedEM1Si
02-21-2006, 02:50 PM
just to clarify, the fuse batman is talking about is rated @ 7.5A

its the only one in the under hood fuse box

-slammed

erlkonig
02-22-2006, 11:53 AM
just to clarify, the fuse batman is talking about is rated @ 7.5A

its the only one in the under hood fuse box

-slammed

negative ghost rider. there's two 7.5A fuses.
http://i2.ebayimg.com/02/i/06/34/b4/d9_1_b.JPG
eh it's a fuzzy pic, but it looks like there's 2

Batman™
02-22-2006, 12:26 PM
it's the second one down on the far right in that picture.

erlkonig
02-22-2006, 12:57 PM
i will be doing this later this afternoon.

Batman™
02-22-2006, 05:44 PM
good good. it does help.

verity911
03-01-2006, 10:24 AM
The fuse in my 90 Si is labeled 'ECU' rated @ 15a.

Question: I have been told to also remove the 10a 'hazard' fuse when removing the ECU fuse. Seems the ECU doesn't reset properly without removing them both. Hazard fuse allows for memory backup or somehow doesn't allow a full reset?

Batman™
03-01-2006, 11:56 PM
i've never removed anything but the ecu fuse.

Solo23
03-31-2006, 11:09 AM
but how do you KNOW if the ECU is reset?

and mine is not labeled. I'm having the hardest damn time finding that sucker!

Batman™
03-31-2006, 02:37 PM
there's no little indicator light that tells you. but trust me, just follow the steps and it will be.

Solo23
03-31-2006, 02:46 PM
My concern is that my car was in indiana, and now im in colorado.

There is less air up here and I'm not too sure if resetting the ECU would help to refix my mixture?

Or mabye im just being a n00b?

Batman™
03-31-2006, 04:54 PM
no. reset it. it'll help.

dnesbitt
05-11-2006, 08:57 AM
I just picked up a used '00 Civic, and I am confused about what resetting the ECU will do. Is it worthwhile?

Batman™
05-11-2006, 01:25 PM
read the first page and you'll have your answer. if you can't find your answer on the first page, then i'll go ahead and say yes.

Tyler QB
06-05-2006, 05:46 PM
i had to replace my distributer and i had a mechanic set the timing on it after i replaced the part. but ever since then i have been getting HORRIBLE !!! gas milage. would resetting my ecu change the computer settings to deal with the timing/gas milage issue? or is it possible my timing is just WAY off? (1989 civic DX auto)

Thanks Tyler

Batman™
06-05-2006, 10:31 PM
that honestly sounds more like something else brother. have everything checked over again.

civic96man
06-14-2006, 11:21 AM
if i got a new intake would resetting the ecu make it run better? if not could you tell when resetting the ecu is a good idea.

Sam18
06-14-2006, 07:49 PM
if i got a new intake would resetting the ecu make it run better? if not could you tell when resetting the ecu is a good idea.

I dont think you need to reset the ECU just when you get a new intake...

Purplehaze_95
07-30-2006, 12:54 PM
About 6 months ago i had a Po6 ECU converted for my B16A ... the only thing i did installing it was neg bat cable uninstall old one .... reinstall new one and drive (i've never done anything else)..... could this be why my car does'nt seem to have the Power it should?

Batman™
07-30-2006, 04:05 PM
yes

10R
08-01-2006, 04:33 PM
I don't mean to sound stupid, but I've got an 06 Civic and I can't find anything saying ECU. There are two saying FI, which I assume is the same thing. One is the main fuse, and the other is listed as a back up FI fuse. Am I correct in assuming that these are the same, just labled differantly. Fuel Injection....ECU, its all the same thing right?

teamsoy1320
08-04-2006, 02:43 PM
thanx

10R
08-08-2006, 11:17 PM
I don't mean to sound stupid, but I've got an 06 Civic and I can't find anything saying ECU. There are two saying FI, which I assume is the same thing. One is the main fuse, and the other is listed as a back up FI fuse. Am I correct in assuming that these are the same, just labled differantly. Fuel Injection....ECU, its all the same thing right?

Could someone please answer this for me. I would greatly appreciate it. I feel stupid asking it, but you don't learn anything if you don't ask questions, right?:)

Batman™
08-09-2006, 12:42 AM
fuel injection as far as i know is not the same thing. it should be marked in a fuse box under the hood either ecm or ecu.

10R
08-09-2006, 06:42 AM
Thank you very much. I'll look again.:-D

10R
08-10-2006, 03:01 PM
OK, there is not a fuse with either of those labels on the 06 Civic EX Coupe. I guess the battery disconnection is the only way to go for now.

Batman™
08-10-2006, 03:09 PM
yeah. just disconnect the battery.

SUPED-UP CIVIC
08-14-2006, 04:27 AM
you know that when you reset your ecu you are wiping out the memory in the computer?
the only time its reset is if there is drivability concerns ,engine light is on or had repairs done on it. that means once you reset the ecu,the computer has to re-learn itself. it does it by driving it on city streets and highway.the computer is adapting to your driving habits.
car may run funny at first,but once its set it runs like a champ !

Batman™
08-14-2006, 10:48 AM
you know that when you reset your ecu you are wiping out the memory in the computer?
the only time its reset is if there is drivability concerns ,engine light is on or had repairs done on it. that means once you reset the ecu,the computer has to re-learn itself. it does it by driving it on city streets and highway.the computer is adapting to your driving habits.
car may run funny at first,but once its set it runs like a champ !

you're an idiot. the car doesn't learn your driving habits. the car adjusts fuel and air and all according to various factors. you don't have to drive the car, as a matter of fact you don't when you do this. so yeah, your statement is misinformed bullshit.

SUPED-UP CIVIC
08-14-2006, 11:51 AM
YOU'RE THE IDIOT YOU WANNA BE MECHANIC.YOU HAVE TO DRIVE IT YOU MORON.GO TO SCHOOL YOU PROBABLY LEARN HOW THE COMPUTER REALLY WORKS IN THE CAR.
I KNOW WAY MORE THAN YOU DO WITH YOUR BULL SHIT FAGMAN CAR.ITS A HONDA SITE NOT A MITSUBISHI .BACK YARD MECHANICS THINKTHEY KNOW EVERYTHING.

Batman™
08-14-2006, 11:56 AM
hahahahahaha. i owned a honda first. will again this time next year. ask all the people that have used this technique, including me and all my family, it sure seems to be the correct way. so yeah, go ahead get angry. i don't care. you're in the wrong. this has helped a lot of people. they'll get my back on this, not that i need it. i got this mod spot because of the good advice i give.

betta285
08-14-2006, 02:49 PM
this method is the correct one and works very well. it will not do any harm and may only help. and to the dude that just got an intake, yes, resetting the ECU will improve performance. adding an aftermarket intake disturbes the air to fuel ratio and resetting the ECU will correct that. I reset mine after installing my intake and it runs noticibly better. this method works. everyone relax!

dtvtech
08-17-2006, 02:30 PM
Have an 03 civic ex full HP exhaust(header,cat delete,etc..) and V2 intake ever since installed car doesn't run right. sound good,runs like *#it. Also have a cel. Will this fix prob. Also what do you think about the IAT sensor mods out there?

Batman™
08-18-2006, 09:25 AM
find out what the cel is first.

Kauer
08-18-2006, 05:35 PM
I have a 95 cx and acouple weeks ago it has started idleing bad it will just rise and drop but when the ac is on it revs high I don't know how high cause I don't have an rpm gauge but my ac doesn't work most of the time and I was told I need a new ecu to fix the idle will resetting the ecu fix the idle?

Batman™
08-21-2006, 12:21 PM
check the iacv valve on the back of the manifold.

1993 Civic Si
09-08-2006, 06:37 AM
Don't wanna rain on anyone's ECU parade, but I have 2 different shop manuals for my 93 Si and BOTH of them specify removing the "Back-up Fuse" which actually is 7.5a. The ECU fuse is right beside it (under the hood) and rated at 15a. Removing the Back-up fuse DOES reset the clock AND erase radio presets.

Neither manual says to only remove the ECU fuse. One of these I downloaded from this site.

I've always just disconnected the negative cable to be sure. You can tell you've reset the ECU by the way it runs when you restart the car. I've always let it warm to NOT, then start turning stuff on/off (A/C, lights, step on the brake, etc.). The puter will learn all these settings eventually, but it really helps the initial driveability.

In my opinion, if you change ANYTHING performance related (even a new air filter...or just CLEAN the filter!), I think you should reset the ecu to let the car optimize it's performance.

To clarify, both manuals state to remove the 7.5a fuse, but on 4G cars it's labeled as the "Back-up" fuse. The ECU fuse is the 15a fuse directly beside it (left) and it not the fuse to pull to reset. If you pull the correct fuse, you're gonna have to reset the clock AND your radio presets.

Hope this helps.

88DX
11-09-2006, 07:25 PM
what if you leave the fuse out for longer than 15 minets? is it ok to or will it ruin it ?

ymemag
11-09-2006, 09:26 PM
leaving the fuse out will not hurt anything, just make sure you put it in a safe place if you will have it removed for an extended time period. Imagine the car sitting beside a house for 3 months and that the battery dies on. All you do is replace the battery (reinsert the fuse) and start up.

93B18Hatch
01-16-2007, 01:45 PM
so do the ecu fuse or the back up fuse?

Jacko2k7
01-16-2007, 05:01 PM
:eyecraz: do em both if youre not sure, wont do any harm

95civicsi
04-13-2007, 09:49 PM
according to ALLDATA the 7.5A back up fuse under the hood if removed for 10 seconds will reset the trouble codes.

onemorecivicdude
04-27-2007, 03:42 PM
I'm new, so I'll say this under the assumption that nobody thinks I know anything:

I always remove both. This works. One is a 15, the other is a 7.5. It will reset your clock and radio. This does help with a lot of problems surrounding air/fuel control.

Do it the way dude-man said at the beginning and you'll know you did it right.

theforceinme
09-24-2008, 08:09 PM
How often does one need to do this? I just bought my Civic Si and it has been run 64k km... i don't sense anything wrong with the idle (500rpm)

Batman™
09-24-2008, 08:52 PM
I normally do it once per season, once the temperature and weather changes. This keeps the engine running optimum. You'll get better gas mileage, and better overall performance.

ymemag
09-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Concure with Batman. Very wise to reset every season. Your ECU has to change air/fuel mixture significantly when going from summer to winter. You can also reset it if you think you are not getting the gas milage you think you should be. Once you reset though take it for a 20 min drive so your ECU can "learn" the current conditions. Turn on all accessories, AC, Lights, Stereo etc and drive both intown and on freeway if possible. After this learning session you should be good to go!

goncalves15
09-30-2008, 03:24 PM
just did it today......works great

jstar
10-01-2008, 10:08 AM
This thread has pretty much covered everything I believe haha, this topic has been around since before I joined and its pretty much been beat to death. Good information though. It does help.

HIGHGROOVE
07-02-2009, 07:50 PM
batman you around i coud use your help

sbus
07-05-2009, 07:59 PM
just wondering, say my car runs good, and i reset the ecu, will it run a bit better? or is it only when you do major mods to your car? i put on a short ram intake a couple months ago, will it make either difference?

raider73
07-31-2009, 04:41 PM
I have a 98 Civic and there is no fuse under the hood labeled ECU or ECM. I did a little more searching online and it seems the ECU fuse is the one labeled "FI E/M" (15A)and the backup ECU fuse is right next to it labeled as "backup radio"(7.5A). It is the only 7.5A fuse in the bigger black fuse box under the hood. There is another 7.5A fuse in the smaller black fuse box that houses the ABS relays and such.

dwheeler
07-31-2009, 10:52 PM
It's quicker to just disconnect the positive battery cable, then step on the brakes for about 15 seconds. This will kill all the juice stored in the ECU's capacitor. So you can skip the first wait part and continue with the directions.

XGRaViSmOrSX
07-31-2009, 11:08 PM
It's quicker to just disconnect the positive battery cable, then step on the brakes for about 15 seconds. This will kill all the juice stored in the ECU's capacitor. So you can skip the first wait part and continue with the directions.

technically the way to do it is remove the ecu back up 7.5A for 10-seconds.

if you still have a CEL after that even though the problem has been fixed you're supposed to remove the SCS short connector from the fuse box and then take out the 7.5A fuse for 10-seconds.

N8ts12
12-15-2009, 01:03 AM
will this work if the ecu unit has shut down ????
i cant get it 2 turn on there 4 i cant start my car dam it

N8ts12
12-15-2009, 01:04 AM
i have an af honda crx 1600 dohc

EVLGTR
12-16-2009, 03:48 AM
Concure with Batman. Very wise to reset every season. Your ECU has to change air/fuel mixture significantly when going from summer to winter. You can also reset it if you think you are not getting the gas milage you think you should be. Once you reset though take it for a 20 min drive so your ECU can "learn" the current conditions. Turn on all accessories, AC, Lights, Stereo etc and drive both intown and on freeway if possible. After this learning session you should be good to go!

You dont really need to reset you ECU each time.

With you saying it "Learn" condition, that means you should reset it each time you switch on the ignition since each time we drive out the driveway theres so many varying conditions we could encounter on the road such as speed changing, rev changing, having load, witout having load, turning on and off a/c...etc and the list goes on.....

Thats just ridiculous and you'd be looking like a fool doing reset each time.

For those who doesnt know, the ECU can learn new parameters in real-time so theres no need to reset it besides having significant changes to the OEM of your car mechanically and electronically.

EVLGTR
12-16-2009, 05:10 AM
All Honda ECU’s self learn, and adjust both short term and long term settings over time, which automatically trims either + or – your injector duty output, at particular RPMs and load point, this is controlled by the negative feedback created from your narrow band oxygen sensor (or semi wide band sensor on 2003+Hondas) and its this “trim” your resetting by removing your battery etc etc etc.

The Honda ECU is designed to be at all times 10000% emissions friendly, and kinda fool proof to causing the engine any damage, this is why it learns, and changes the required output.

Once you reset your ECU, it on longer knows anything about its previous long term n short term fuel trim settings, and begins learning again like day one, and assuming your car is Totally Stock.

Now comes the real debate is it good to reset your ECU or not ?

If Honda Designed the ECU to self learn and be emission friendly and fool proof for your engine, to allow continuous safe operation why on earth would you want to reset the ECU ? if its learnt how to make your engine even safer but making automatic adjustments ?

Either way the Stock ECU’s goal never changes (Emission and Engine Friendly) and it continuously analysers the data collected from the oxygen sensor (assumes the data is correct) and assumes there are NO modifications to the vehicle and the ECU goes about’s business making changed to the fuel output, as per normal.

When owners perform modifications to there Vehicles, this is where it throws a spanner into the equation, as the ECU has no idea of what modifications have been done.

For instance, what effect to your engine (Air Fuel Ratio) does putting a CAI, or exhaust, or Extractors do??, these are all common modifications but what is it doing to your engine leaner or richer (Air Fuel Ratio)? Does this dynamic change in the setup of your engine cause damage to your engine? why reset the ECU if its goal is to protect your engine ? You would assume a more highly finer adjusted ECU would be better ? The difference and answers lie in the extent of your modifications.

The other common question is why does my modified car feel / drive better when I reset the ECU. ?

Well if your doing basic bolt on modifications to your car, you typically are making a engine breath more easily, therefore your providing the combustion chamber with more oxygen with the same amount of fuel, this will cause a engine to run Hot, and lean out, it is common knowledge that leaning out a engine can in some cases make more power, although the same can be said in running a engine rich (thus cold) and with the correct ignition timing you can also make a huge improvement on output power.

So you might feel the car is making / preforming better, or some cases it might feel worse … but either way your ECU is programmed regardless to intercept data from the oxygen sensor and make changes for its goal of an emission and healthy engine.

hueyp94
12-22-2009, 05:13 PM
i usually pull my ecu out then do the backspin on it then the robot for 3 minutes making sure you face west put it back in. that is how i reset my ecu.

XGRaViSmOrSX
12-22-2009, 06:20 PM
i usually pull my ecu out then do the backspin on it then the robot for 3 minutes making sure you face west put it back in. that is how i reset my ecu.

funny, because i kick faggots like you in the dick and then piss on your slumped over body to reset my ecu. :shrug:

hueyp94
12-22-2009, 07:46 PM
look just because i fucked your dad while your cum dumpster of mom played with her dick doesn't mean you have to be so angry. by the way did your sister get my shitty pubes out of her teeth?

XGRaViSmOrSX
12-23-2009, 01:01 PM
look just because i fucked your dad while your cum dumpster of mom played with her dick doesn't mean you have to be so angry. by the way did your sister get my shitty pubes out of her teeth?

Must have been someone else. Don't have a sister unless of course you are counting when I dress and fuck your father....doubt it though, since that doesn't really count.

FknTkn
12-24-2009, 10:52 AM

LOL.

people from gulfport are not allowed to talk shit.

That place is worse than Camden, NJ where I grew up.

beatiger1
12-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Must have been someone else. Don't have a sister unless of course you are counting when I dress and fuck your father....doubt it though, since that doesn't really count.

umm wow stefano :lol:

Kenny8383
12-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Interesting..

EVLGTR
11-07-2010, 06:58 AM

Hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..."cum dumpster" CLASSIC!

EVLGTR
11-07-2010, 07:00 AM

:-? You wear a dress? hahahahhah

XGRaViSmOrSX
11-07-2010, 12:17 PM
:-? You wear a dress? hahahahhah

reading comprehension > you

EVLGTR
11-07-2010, 05:53 PM
reading comprehension > you

You said it dude, I cant believe you WEAR A DRESS while fucking his father, :nodno: sick fuck!!.....hahahahahahhahaha LMFAO ROFL!!!!!!!!!..............

...im very sorry but funniest shit ive ever read so far :eyecraz: :lol: :roll_eye:

XGRaViSmOrSX
11-07-2010, 07:04 PM
You said it dude, I cant believe you WEAR A DRESS while fucking his father, :nodno: sick fuck!!.....hahahahahahhahaha LMFAO ROFL!!!!!!!!!..............

...im very sorry but funniest shit ive ever read so far :eyecraz: :lol: :roll_eye:

location says it all.:lol:

i truly feel sorry for you. :nodno: